Backup selected folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Quick question concerning Home Server's backup, as I'm thinking of buying one. I want to do an image backup of all the system partitions on my network, but I don't want to backup all the other partitions in their entirety. I'd like to be able to select specific folders to backup.

Is this possible? I've read through the basic info on the WHS website, including the backup technical document. It seems to indicate that all backups are image based and that you can exclude files and folders, but doesn't mention anything about just including files and folders.

Thanks.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Quick question concerning Home Server's backup, as I'm thinking of buying one. I want to do an image backup of all the system partitions on my network, but I don't want to backup all the other partitions in their entirety. I'd like to be able to select specific folders to backup.

Is this possible? I've read through the basic info on the WHS website, including the backup technical document. It seems to indicate that all backups are image based and that you can exclude files and folders, but doesn't mention anything about just including files and folders.

Thanks.

It's exclusion-based only.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Would there be any way to use a script to add all but select folders to the exclusion list?
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Would there be any way to use a script to add all but select folders to the exclusion list?

You exclude folders when you configure the backup for each client, so I don't see how that's possible.  Having said that, you can always download the 120-day trial and tinker with it.  :)
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:39 PM
  • I'll play with the trial version. If you can use a Windows 7 library as an excluded location, then add folders you want to exclude to the library, this might make it feasible.

Thanks.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:47 PM
  • I'll play with the trial version. If you can use a Windows 7 library as an excluded location, then add folders you want to exclude to the library, this might make it feasible.

Thanks.

No, you can't do that either (WHS has no idea what a Win 7 library is as WHS is written on top of Server 2003).
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:08 PM