cannot install WHS2011 connector on Windows 10 PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have tried to install WHS2011 connector, but I have not been successfull. I have a WHS2011 Server with latest updates, and tow Win 10 clients. On one of them, the connector is working, on the second it stopped working and I tried to re-install it.

Installation always fails with the error "unexpected error, (...) click on close to undo changes". Is there a log where I can check the reason for this error?

Sunday, January 3, 2016 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

it finally worked. What did I do:

- deleted certificates in certificates -> own certificates -> certificates in the management console (I had about 10 or so which where all created by my WHS2011 server)

(after a re-boot of my pc I still could not install the connector, so I then looked in the logs and)

- deleted all logs under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\

after a re-boot, I finally managed to install successfully the connector.

I would like to give some honest feedback on this connector software: I my view, it is a really bad designed piece of software, which lets its users completely in the dark as to why it cannot install etc., and more importantly there is no good or at least decent support or FAQ available or findable over google or any other internet search. I am constantly having problems with it since I am using WHS2011, and not only on Windows 10 machines.

Is there another way to use WHS client backup? I am really fed up with the connector software, but I need the client backup features of WHS2011.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have tried to install WHS2011 connector, but I have not been successfull. I have a WHS2011 Server with latest updates, and tow Win 10 clients. On one of them, the connector is working, on the second it stopped working and I tried to re-install it.

Installation always fails with the error "unexpected error, (...) click on close to undo changes". Is there a log where I can check the reason for this error?

update: I have also installed KB2781272 on the WHS 2011 server, which some reported to be helpful in installing connector, but this did not solve my problem.

Can anyone help me, please?

Sunday, January 3, 2016 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Connector failed to be re-installed on Windows 10 with error “unexpected error…”

Restart the Windows 10 in clean boot(msconfig), Open Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall a program. From the list of installed programs, make sure that Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has been Uninstall. Then, try to re-install the connector again and confirm the result.

If the problem persists, please provide the connector log which is located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 4, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

when booting into safe mode there are no leftovers of the old connector software to be de-installed.

Installation still fails with the same error. How can I send you the logs? I do not find an attachment option in this thread.

• Edited by thebigblue Wednesday, January 6, 2016 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

it finally worked. What did I do:

- deleted certificates in certificates -> own certificates -> certificates in the management console (I had about 10 or so which where all created by my WHS2011 server)

(after a re-boot of my pc I still could not install the connector, so I then looked in the logs and)

- deleted all logs under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\

after a re-boot, I finally managed to install successfully the connector.

I would like to give some honest feedback on this connector software: I my view, it is a really bad designed piece of software, which lets its users completely in the dark as to why it cannot install etc., and more importantly there is no good or at least decent support or FAQ available or findable over google or any other internet search. I am constantly having problems with it since I am using WHS2011, and not only on Windows 10 machines.

Is there another way to use WHS client backup? I am really fed up with the connector software, but I need the client backup features of WHS2011.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 6:48 PM
  • Given support for WHS2011 ends in a few months, anything that works is a bonus. I have not had any problems with the Connector and W10.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 12:49 AM