OEM SLP --> VLM Product Key. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We just purchased 200+ PCs with XP preinstalled.

The installed system is great, stable and what-not, but we can't image it because of the product key.

Is there not a way to change the product key to VLM w/o reinstalling??????

Is this is possible?!?
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 11:24 PM

Answers

• Bighiller,

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.

If you have a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for Windows XP affixed to your system, then there is a strong likelihood your system is licensed to run Windows XP.

Windows Product Key  Update Tool & Detailed Instructions:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

The Product Key Update Tool was designed to update a non-genuine Product Key previously used to activate Windows XP with a known good Product Key.

If you have antimalware or firewall programs installed, please make sure these programs are set to allow the Product Key Update Tool to have full access to the Internet.

Where I hope this is helpful to you, I do not know why you would want to update your product key to a Volume license. Those product keys are normally reserved for companies, governments, and schools. If you work for one of those orgs, then you should contact your IT Administrator for Volume Licensing Support. Good luck.

Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Rick

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Bighiller,

As written above, the Windows Product Key Update Tool was designed to update a non-genuine Product Key with one used to update with a known good one.

You will need to contact volume licensing support for continued assistance since you have a purchased product. I will say that what you are doing may not be supported. In fact the chances are pretty good that they will only support a normal installation/setup path.

As far as which type of installation is better, I cannot address that. I can say that it is important to install off the instructions you received for proper Volume installation to avoid possible Validation issues in the future.

For this thread- Installation outside of recommended pathways is out of scope for this forum as well as out of my expertise. This information provided in this thread may or may not assist you.

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage program forum.

Rick

Support for Volume Licensing- https://licensing.microsoft.com/eLicense/L1033/Default.asp

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Friday, January 9, 2009 5:47 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• Bighiller,

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.

If you have a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for Windows XP affixed to your system, then there is a strong likelihood your system is licensed to run Windows XP.

Windows Product Key  Update Tool & Detailed Instructions:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

The Product Key Update Tool was designed to update a non-genuine Product Key previously used to activate Windows XP with a known good Product Key.

If you have antimalware or firewall programs installed, please make sure these programs are set to allow the Product Key Update Tool to have full access to the Internet.

Where I hope this is helpful to you, I do not know why you would want to update your product key to a Volume license. Those product keys are normally reserved for companies, governments, and schools. If you work for one of those orgs, then you should contact your IT Administrator for Volume Licensing Support. Good luck.

Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Rick

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I am the IT admin. The issue is the we purchased 200+ dell boxes with XP preinstalled, so we legally own the license. I just like the OEM install as it has all the proper drivers and useful apps, can't really beat the OEM installation and configuration. It's just a big pain when it comes time to create desktop images for cloning.

I know how to change product keys, but it seems that going from an OEM SLP to VLM product keys is not happening and I'd like to know how to remedy this w/o reinstalling.

Thanks,
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Bighiller,

As written above, the Windows Product Key Update Tool was designed to update a non-genuine Product Key with one used to update with a known good one.

You will need to contact volume licensing support for continued assistance since you have a purchased product. I will say that what you are doing may not be supported. In fact the chances are pretty good that they will only support a normal installation/setup path.

As far as which type of installation is better, I cannot address that. I can say that it is important to install off the instructions you received for proper Volume installation to avoid possible Validation issues in the future.

For this thread- Installation outside of recommended pathways is out of scope for this forum as well as out of my expertise. This information provided in this thread may or may not assist you.

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage program forum.

Rick

Support for Volume Licensing- https://licensing.microsoft.com/eLicense/L1033/Default.asp

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Friday, January 9, 2009 5:47 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Well those reply's were helpful, Not.    I can think of many reasons to want to change licencing from OEM to VLM,   The reason the OP gave is just one.  others are a desire to have all your eggs in one basket for reporting purposes.

Sometime's just toeing the hive mind is not helpful.   M$ need to provide a proper way of changine the license Key, OEM are a good way of selling Tin but in a corporate environment are not very scalable.  not all VLM users are enterprise standard.  companies buy Tin via the channal, or direct a'la Dell or HP websites.

having to reinstall the OS to change a License key because of Registry restrictions is quite frankly a pain in the you know where.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:20 AM