Automatic Backup to an External Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Live One Care tells me i can automatically back up to an external hard drive.  So I bought a Seagate FreeAgent 160.  I want to set up to back up in the middle of the night automatically, but i cannot figure out how.  thanks.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:22 PM

Answers

• Open OneCare, click on change settings.

Select the backup tab.

Click in Configure backup.

If you have already created a backup plan using CD/DVD, click on Change Settings in the lower left corner.

Select your PC from the list on the left if more than one appears.

Click on Change location for "where" and select the new external drive

Select the schedule for When.

Select What, clicking on "Change this" if you wish to review what files you are backing up.

Check Turn on backup on this PC

Click next

Click Save

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:49 AM

All replies

• Open OneCare, click on change settings.

Select the backup tab.

Click in Configure backup.

If you have already created a backup plan using CD/DVD, click on Change Settings in the lower left corner.

Select your PC from the list on the left if more than one appears.

Click on Change location for "where" and select the new external drive

Select the schedule for When.

Select What, clicking on "Change this" if you wish to review what files you are backing up.

Check Turn on backup on this PC

Click next

Click Save

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:49 AM
  • my one care says it wants to re format and change the format of the External Hard Drive, it also says no data will be lost, is this true cos i have lots of important stuff on it that i cant loose???? 

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:35 PM
  • You do not need to change the file system on the external drive.

This is from Instant Support:

Convert your file system from FAT to NTFS

Windows XP and Windows Vista store, organize, and retrieve files on your hard disk with one of three file systems: FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. Because the NTFS file system is usually more secure than FAT and FAT32 file systems, we recommend that you use NTFS with Windows Live OneCare.

If you back up your files with an external hard disk that is formatted with FAT, we recommend that you convert the disk to NTFS. You can convert the disk without losing any data, and conversion to NTFS will help make the disk more secure and efficient.

Important

If you plan to share a hard disk with computers that don't run Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003, don't convert your drive to NTFS.

To convert your file system from FAT to NTFS:
    1. In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

–or–

In Windows Vista, click Start, click in the Start Search box, and then type command prompt. Under Programs, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

2. Type convertDrive letter : /FS:NTFS, where Drive letter is the letter of the disk that you want to convert. For example, if your external hard disk drive is drive E, type convert E: /FS:NTFS.
    3. Press ENTER.

If you choose to convert the file system, I recommend that you first copy (and verify that the copies are good) anything that you do not want to risk losing, despite what the help text says.

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:42 PM