Silent Client mode RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am looking for the ability to designate a client t be a silent client or an admin client.  For example:  My PC and my daughters PC should have the client icon in the tray and the wife and son shouldn't.  This would make the popup "Backup failed" messages appear on the PC's that have users that know what to do about it.  It just anoys the others who just want o use the PC and not wory about how it works.

As an IT Manager this is the same thing my users want.  They want it to work ,and don't care how it works, or wish to be told every 10 minutes that it isn't working on the machine two offices down.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:33 AM

All replies

• I would agree whole heartedly.  Being able to designate clients and management clients would be fantastic.  Not every station needs to have all th pop ups that can occur.  Even if the icon is still in the tray, just being able to disable the notifications for certain clients would be great.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Would like to add my vote to this idea
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:08 AM
  • You can do this now. Just remove the Windows Home Server shortcut from the startup group. The connector will still run in the background, enabling backups, but the tray icon will be gone.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:54 AM
  • This is a good idea. My wife and kids won't care to know if the backup worked or not, just so long as I know and can fix anything that needs fixing.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:43 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    You can do this now. Just remove the Windows Home Server shortcut from the startup group. The connector will still run in the background, enabling backups, but the tray icon will be gone.

Would it not be better to have functionality on the connect software so you right click the tray item and select 'turn off notifications'? I know for sure that I would not want to suggest that novice computer users delete things from their startup group.

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:52 AM
  • I would like to take it one step further.  Instead of the baloons popping up in the tray (which are annoying to ANYONE, not just novice users, especially since they pop up so FREAKING often... yeah yeah yeah I get it!!!) I'd like to see a sidebar gadget I can run in Vista that simply has the status of all client PCs at a glance, with a quick link to launch th econsole.  That way I can keep track of any potential issues, but not have it so in my face all the time.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 9:35 PM
  • This is an excellent idea.  A simple dashboard that shows a quick view status
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 1:52 AM