Training for moving from classic asp to asp.net RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking for decent instructor led training to help us move from our classic asp environment to asp.net. At this point either C# or vb is viable as a primary language, we know that either will be require a learning curve so my thinking is that the language decision is pretty much even. I'm thinking we need to learn the .Net framework and asp.net as well as Visual Studio (I know that's not a requirement). Is that correct? Assuming that that is correct does anyone know of  a course that does it all?

Another question would be if we need to learn the language first, I've seen a few courses that look like basic/intro courses but most seem to have the language as prerequisite.

I'm sure we aren't the only ones to go through this, but a search here turns up mostly questions about certification which, while a plus, is not the objective.

Any feedback, suggestions, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Dave

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is a class that may still be offered by Microsoft Certified Learning Partners (CPLS, that is training centers).  The class is Course  2640: Upgrading Web Development Skills from ASP to Microsoft ASP.NET. I have not taught this class in several years, but I remember it being a decent course.  It is a 3 day class.

You might just decide to take an intro to VB or C# class in Visual Studio 2010 to get comfortable since so much has changed.  Visual Studio 2010 is version 4 of the ASP.NET framework. I teach a lot of the developer courses, so if you can provide more information about your needs I might be able to narrow down the list of available courses.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MSF, MCSD, MCAD, etc.

Friday, May 25, 2012 12:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is a class that may still be offered by Microsoft Certified Learning Partners (CPLS, that is training centers).  The class is Course  2640: Upgrading Web Development Skills from ASP to Microsoft ASP.NET. I have not taught this class in several years, but I remember it being a decent course.  It is a 3 day class.

You might just decide to take an intro to VB or C# class in Visual Studio 2010 to get comfortable since so much has changed.  Visual Studio 2010 is version 4 of the ASP.NET framework. I teach a lot of the developer courses, so if you can provide more information about your needs I might be able to narrow down the list of available courses.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MSF, MCSD, MCAD, etc.

Friday, May 25, 2012 12:22 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Mike, I never even saw that course when I was looking - they all sort of run together after a while...

The confusion I'm having is that so much of it is so inter-related it all seems dependent on each other, I'm not sure where we need to begin. Some background: there are two of us developers doing the majority of the web work, right now it is all done in classic asp. I've got experience in other languages and even a little bit of C#, while the other developer has mostly done asp. We both have plenty of experience with html, css, and Javascript.

I've toyed with Visual Studio in the past and the other developer has as well, but neither of us use it now.

I should also say there is every chance we'll move more into MVC than web forms.

The way I see it there are three parts that needs to be learned: Visual Studio (I know this isn't a requirement but it is highly advisable right?), the language (not sure if we'll go with C# or VB .Net, since there is a learning curve no matter what, I'm hoping for C#), and the framework itself.

All of the beginner oriented classes I've seen have a pre-req of knowing the language so my thought, in the absence of an all inclusive class, is a course that teaches the language and VS, and then a bit more advanced course that teaches the framework and asp.net specifically.

So maybe a sequence like:

2609A: Introduction to C# Programming with Microsoft .NET(just as an example, we'll fight the vb vs c# battle later)

followed by either 50295A: Introduction to Microsoft ASP.NET 3.5 or 10267A: Introduction to Web Development with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

Although the first class we might be able to handle with a book.

Thanks for your time and the feedback.

Dave

Friday, May 25, 2012 3:14 PM
  • I guess another option would be some sort of custom designed course but I'm not sure if that would be too costly. Has anyone had any experience with that sort of thing or with the same issue as I've described above? How did you handle it?

thanks

Dave

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:13 PM