networking in a wired and wireless environment RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to network three pc's in my home. I have one connected directly to a wireless router, and two connected wirelessly.  I've tried to go through the wizard, but it only lists wireless connections.  The wired machine has Vista Home Premium, as does one of the wireless units.  The other wireless unit has XP Pro.  Can anyone help set this network up?

Thansk 

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:46 PM forum consolidation (From:Networking)
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 7:27 PM

All replies

• Well for the wired,...if the cable is connected then it is "networked".  If you open a browser and it goes to the internet then it is working.

For the wireless,..if you establsihed a successful wireless connection then it is "networked".  If you open a browser and it goes to the internet then it is working.

Anything else you do after that point is "beyond" networking.

Using the same Workgroup Name on all machines helps but is not required.

So where exactly are you at with it?  For File sharing you have to actually share something before it is available.  You can pickup the file location by opeing the Run Line or a command prompt window and typing \\nameofmachine\sharename  You can also create a shortcut to it by rightclicking on the desktop or in an Explorer Location and choosing New-->Shortcut and then typing in the location I just gave an example of.  The shortcut will behave very much like a folder.

Getting things to show up conveniently in Network Places is a bit more tricky sometimes and isn't always worth all the hassle,..in fact personally, I never use that.

--
    Phillip Windell

The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "clp4" <=?utf-8?B?Y2xwNA==?=> wrote in message news:eb28b74f-c989-4408-914b-1c93426aaf83...

I'm trying to network three pc's in my home. I have one connected directly to a wireless router, and two connected wirelessly.  I've tried to go through the wizard, but it only lists wireless connections.  The wired machine has Vista Home Premium, as does one of the wireless units.  The other wireless unit has XP Pro.  Can anyone help set this network up?

Thansk 

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:59 PM