Lost data on WHS when it failed to connect RRS feed

• Question

•  have an ACER easystore home server with WHS on it. I recently was unable to connect to it. I tried all the recomended fixes but was still unable to connect. I sent it to the vendor to try and fix it. The only thing they could do was restore the software to factory state. When they attempted to re install my drives to save my data they told me it was impossible to recover the data. I was disapointed as the purpose I had for having the WHS was to have a copy of my data. I even told the server to duplicate the data. The vendor tells me the data is unrecoverable.

Is there a way to recover this data? They tell me that the Drive extender treats the dirves as a single drive.  that places the data all over the place and once the drive is removed all the data is lost. Please help.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

• Personally I would never go back to that vendor. What they should have done is a sever reinstall with all disks in place. This will preserve all data in duplicated shares. Client backups and data in shares not duplicated may be lost. (Although even this could be saved by copying it of the disk before server reinstall)

If you still have the disks (and the vendor did not reformat them during the factory reset) you can simply mount the disks in another PC (either internally or using a SATA or USB enclosure or using a SATA to USB adapter). You will then find the files in a hidden folder named "DE" in the root of the drive. Because the folder is hidden you need to make sure you enable "view hidden files and folders" on the PC, otherwise the drive will appear empty.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Friday, March 18, 2011 4:00 PM