none
Can any moderator split the thread ? RRS feed

Answers

• You need to be aware of various things before asking for Moderators to split every thread that has lost track of the original question.

1. The Moderator has to be following just that thread carefully to even see that it has gone off-topic.

2. The Split function very often doesn't work and always takes a lot of time to go through (time in which the Moderator could process several other threads) even when it does work.

3. A Split function requires often thought about which forum it should go to; then time spent selecting that forum from the list offered (default ought to be to use the same forum but there is no default so you need to hunt down the list for that same forum); then even more time spent reading the thread (before splitting) in order to specify a new title for the split-off thread.

Mainly therefore because of the time aspect, if the thread isn't really really off-topic, I let it be.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Marked as answer by Eyal Solnik Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:43 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:34 AM
  • I can concur that splitting is a lot of work. In addition, I like to link the original thread so people see where the new question came from and give it context. Sometimes I summarize what happened in the other thread so people don't need to wade through a long thread. I go to this effort when the original thread is old and closed, or the question is clearly new and deserves its own discussion (and possibly someone should get credit for a new answer). Still, people sometimes complain they cannot find their question after I split it. I must carefully select a title that reflects the new question, but won't make the asker not recognize it.

Long threads with many replies are always difficult to moderate. They often get off topic, but don't warrent a split unless there really is a new question.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:53 PM

All replies

• You need to be aware of various things before asking for Moderators to split every thread that has lost track of the original question.

1. The Moderator has to be following just that thread carefully to even see that it has gone off-topic.

2. The Split function very often doesn't work and always takes a lot of time to go through (time in which the Moderator could process several other threads) even when it does work.

3. A Split function requires often thought about which forum it should go to; then time spent selecting that forum from the list offered (default ought to be to use the same forum but there is no default so you need to hunt down the list for that same forum); then even more time spent reading the thread (before splitting) in order to specify a new title for the split-off thread.

Mainly therefore because of the time aspect, if the thread isn't really really off-topic, I let it be.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:34 AM
  • I can concur that splitting is a lot of work. In addition, I like to link the original thread so people see where the new question came from and give it context. Sometimes I summarize what happened in the other thread so people don't need to wade through a long thread. I go to this effort when the original thread is old and closed, or the question is clearly new and deserves its own discussion (and possibly someone should get credit for a new answer). Still, people sometimes complain they cannot find their question after I split it. I must carefully select a title that reflects the new question, but won't make the asker not recognize it.

Long threads with many replies are always difficult to moderate. They often get off topic, but don't warrent a split unless there really is a new question.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:53 PM
  • I understand, thank you for the replies, I'll make a new thread. :)

Eyal (http://shilony.net), Regards.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:54 PM
  • It looks like a moderator attempted to split the thread you referenced, but was unable to. I don't know what that issue was.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:18 PM