HELP PLEASE with drives and storage space RRS feed

• Question

• I built a pc to use as a windows home server...  I installed the software on a 200 GB IDE drive and then after everything was set up I added 2 750 GB SATA Hard Drives and the control console shows I have 1.5 terabytes of storage space but the limit on my Video folder is 166 GB.  I have over 1 GB of movies I want to put on this to share with the PC’s in my home.  Can you tell me how to increase the size of this folder?  The Video folder.

can some one help me please

My Server Specifications is

Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI

AMD Athlon 64 3700

2 gb ddr 3200 ram

200 gb IDE drive this is where server software is installed

2 750 gb SATA Drives

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:40 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server will only show you the amount of free space on your D: partition when you view that information through Windows Explorer, so there's nothing wrong with your server. If you have used the Windows Home Server Console to add the additional 2x 750 GB drives to your storage pool, then this space is also available for your use, though it will only be shown in the console.

You will be limited to copying approximately 160 GB of data at a time to your server. This is a limitation imposed by the way Drive Extender works, you can only copy as much data as the free space on your D: partition. Then you will have to wait (perhaps quite a while if you copy close to 160 GB) for the space to be freed up as Drive Extender migrates data to your other drives.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:40 PM
  • That's why there is the recommendation that, when building your system, you use your largest available drive. You have come across the in-built limitation of the Drive Extender.

Colin

Thursday, May 1, 2008 5:04 PM