Outbound calls and softphones RRS feed

• Question

• I’m new on speech server. I’ve started working with 2007 version a month ago. After overcoming several issues, I’m now stucked on outbound calls. My goal is to use a softphone to make them (using x-lite now but change to other if necessary). I’ve:

Server VM with w2003 + SS 2007

Vista host with x-lite.

Both have static ip. On the SS 2007, I’ve configured the sip peer to point to Vista’s machine ip, setup just one thusted peer (the sip one), just it’s very simple configuration.

Issue: all outbound calls are received by SS 2007 server, instead of being fw to the sip peer machine. I get no errors on the code, no events reporting problems but effectly the call is not sent outside.  I’m sure I’m missing something but what J

regards

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:31 PM

All replies

• I'm confused, if MSS is making the outbound call, how is it also receiving it?

Is MSS trying to call the softphone or is the softphone trying to call MSS?

Friday, September 14, 2007 12:03 AM
  • I'm a little confused too.

I did a blog post on configuring the X-Lite phone (http://gotspeech.net/blogs/marshallharrison/archive/2007/06/19/x-lite-soft-phone.aspx) that may help you.

With X-LIte you have to add "transport=tcp" to the uri. I've also noticed that if MSS does a transfer then you have to include "tranposrt=tcp" in the uri for the transfer. It doesn't make much sense but that was the only way I could get it to work.

Question - have you setup the Vista peer to allow outbound calls and transfers?

Try using WireShark on the VM instance to see what Speech Server is doing with the calls. Filter on SIP and you should have a good idea of what is actually happening. If you have questions about WireShark then let me know. I blogged on it also and can help you with it.

Friday, September 14, 2007 1:45 PM
  •  

Thanks for replies, and sorry taking so long to get back. The situation changed a litle bit. I’ll try to clarify …

As said, my goal is to make outbound calls (mss to call real phones). my scenario:

x-lite and mss are runned on the same machine: Virtual PC running a vm with:

·         Win Server 2003 R2 workgroup

·         Mss 2007

o   Sip peer: local ip address (Q1)

o   An application setup up (Managed Speech Application) Q2

o   The un-touched sample (‘mss 2007 directory’\Samples\Workflow\OutboundCalls\OutboundCalls). Touched only on the OutboundNumbers.xml file has this is the way, on this sample, to point phone number to call.

·         X-lite configured to used a voip provider (tested with success when calls are done directly via x-lite interface)

·         Firewall with 5060 tcp opened

On this scenario, I run the page http://localhost/OutboundCalls/Outbound.aspx and nothing happens:

·         The page says “Trigger sent successfully”

·         No logs are register on application logs

·         But no calls are made

Q1: I’m running x-lite on same the machine hopping to use it as TIM device (goal: make calls to regular phones). I understand (from 1st paragraph of this mss help page) that this possible. I’ve tried to use on another machine (point sip peer as well to it) but the results are the same.

Q2: If I change the application type from “Managed Speech Application” to a different nature I get erros. The mentioned sample is a “Managed Speech Application” right?

Please point me all mistakes / wrong assumptions / lake of understing you may see from my explanation.

Regards,

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:24 AM
  • 1. X-lite is an endpoint and not a TIM or gateway. To make calls to regular phones you're going to need something ot interface between MSS and the telephone network. X-Lite does not do this, it just places or accepts calls.

2. If the app isn't authored to use the information you send to it via the outbound trigger, nothing will happen, the same if you don't pass it the information it's expecting. For the case of the outbound app, you can only call X-Lite, you will not be able to call regular phones with the configuration you currenlty have. Yes, the sample app is a 'Managed Speech Application'

Hope that clears things up for you.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:20 AM