How do I move files quickly in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, lets say I have a lot of media, but I want to rearrange the directory structure. When I cut and paste the files in explorer, it seems to be copying the data and then deleting the originals, not moving them (which should be quick) How do I speed it up.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:28 PM

Answers

• Ok, lets say I have a lot of media, but I want to rearrange the directory structure. When I cut and paste the files in explorer, it seems to be copying the data and then deleting the originals, not moving them (which should be quick) How do I speed it up.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    If you are moving data from one share to another, you don't.  It will have to "go out" and then "go back in".  This is standard for all MS network shares (it doesn't recognize that share A and share B are on the same server so it goes through the network).  If, however, you're talking about moving files within the same share (from one folder to another), that should be instantaneous.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by ksheth Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:35 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:33 PM

All replies

Thanks,
    Kevin
    If you are moving data from one share to another, you don't.  It will have to "go out" and then "go back in".  This is standard for all MS network shares (it doesn't recognize that share A and share B are on the same server so it goes through the network).  If, however, you're talking about moving files within the same share (from one folder to another), that should be instantaneous.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by ksheth Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:35 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Thanks!
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:35 PM