How to get a Dynamode BR411NT router working with WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased one of these routers recently for its wireless capability, but it doesn't seem to like WHS (or vice versa)

Problem 1: if installed as my main router, I cannot access my Homeserver.com site, whereas I could with my old router. The BR411NT is uPNP-enabled, whereas the old one isn't.

Problem 2: if installed as a subsidiary router, its WHS clients cannot see my WHS box as a WHS box.

The firmware is H1_V3.3.5r_DYM_01-Dec 8 2009 and no upgrade appears to be available on Dynamode's website

http://www.dynamode-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130:br411nt&catid=35:routers-cable&Itemid=53

Can I configure it manually? How do I?

qts
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:15 PM

All replies

• I purchased one of these routers recently for its wireless capability, but it doesn't seem to like WHS (or vice versa)

Problem 1: if installed as my main router, I cannot access my Homeserver.com site, whereas I could with my old router. The BR411NT is uPNP-enabled, whereas the old one isn't.

Problem 2: if installed as a subsidiary router, its WHS clients cannot see my WHS box as a WHS box.

The firmware is H1_V3.3.5r_DYM_01-Dec 8 2009 and no upgrade appears to be available on Dynamode's website

http://www.dynamode-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130:br411nt&catid=35:routers-cable&Itemid=53

Can I configure it manually? How do I?

qts

You should only use one router (otherwise you end up with a double-NAT situation).  As for how to configure it manually, have you checked portforward.com to see if your router is listed (or try contacting the company directly for support)?
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:02 AM
  • Portforward.com is unfortunately somewhat out of date at this point. However, your router's manual will tell you how to configure port forwarding manually, if it's possible.

As kariya21 has observed, you should not chain multiple routers together.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:31 AM
  • Can you remind me which ports I need to forward? I've done 80, 443, and 4125.

As for the doubling of the routers, I think MS might want to support this: it's going to be more and more common as more families have home networks, and hive the children off to their own network.

qts
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:55 AM
  • You only need to forward 80, 443 and 4125 (TCP).

Two routers are not required for a home lan.  If you need to expand your network then use switches or to expand on a wireless network then an Access Point or Repeater should be used.  Home networks don't typically need segmented networks which is where routers come into their own - bear in mind most home routers support a Class C sub net which will support 253 further devices on the network - that should be ample for mosts homes and small offices.

--
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Can you remind me which ports I need to forward? I've done 80, 443, and 4125.

As for the doubling of the routers, I think MS might want to support this: it's going to be more and more common as more families have home networks, and hive the children off to their own network.

Those are the ports.

Chaining multiple routers (all providing NAT) in a home environment is extremely undesirable. For example, if your children use a gaming console, typically they will be unable to play online if they have two NAT enabled routers (any consumer router, in default configuration) between the console and the Internet. Other internet-enabled devices may also have problems (TVs, set-top boxes, etc.). Because isolating some devices behind a separate router creates a completely separate network, you may experience a variety of connectivity issues between computers at home.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:36 PM
  • I have resolved the first issue. The router was irrelevant. What I needed to do was release and re-register my homeserver domain. I'm guessing that WHS didn't pick up that it had a new IP address, despite being rebooted.

qts
    Friday, April 9, 2010 6:25 PM