Emergency!!! Big problems with my Windows Home Server!!! Please Help!!! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was having some problems with my Server and decided to do a Re-Installation of WHS. I selected to do a re-installation and setup was at the point of "Formatting the Volume". It has been stuck their for 3 hours. I then decided to try the setup again, but now it has the 1 option for a New Install only. I have 1 drive for WHS and 8 2tb Drives for my shares. I immediately pulled the 8 share drives out just in case. If I select a new install will it rebuild those drives? I looked at a couple of them and it seems the folders are their but the files are spread accross 8 drives. I don't know what to do, but don't want to lose my Important files. Please help with any guidance. Your help is appreciated.

p.s. I do have some important files on an online backup service, but not everyhting.

Saturday, November 6, 2010 9:17 PM

All replies

• I just took the main drive out and see 2 partitions. 1 20gb and 1 130gb. The 20gb is blank but the 130gb still is in tact with the data. I read somewhere that I should delete partition 1 and then the reinstall option should come back. I tried that but it still says New Installation. I took my Data drives out and then put them back, but stupid me didn't mark which one goes where. Will that matter for the reinstall to show up. If so how can I fix this.

The problem is most of my files are split between different drives. What is the best way to copy them to a new drive? If I install the WHS Software and then put back my data drives, what will happend?

Thanks

Sunday, November 7, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Anybody?

Sunday, November 7, 2010 4:33 PM
  • As a practical matter, you may want to consider purchasing a single large drive, then do a new installation and finally recover data from your current drives per this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 8, 2010 2:24 AM