I want to purchase 4 1 TB drives from Newegg RRS feed

• Question

• I have been reading a lot of threads on here and I have finally narrowed down my search to WD GREEN 1TB drives and a 1TB HITACHI. I will be installing these into a Super Micro 5 drive cage.

Any opinions on which drives to order. I would like to do this tonight if I get any feeback. I do most of my shopping on Newegg

Thanks,

Abe
    Friday, December 14, 2007 5:06 AM

All replies

• The WD drives are more expensive, but quieter, use less power, and run cooler. You're looking (mostly) at a decision between cost and environmental factors, right? Which is more important to you? The answer to that question should let your decision almost make itself.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 12:35 PM
  • I personally went with the WD Green's myself due to the fact that they are more than sufficient in the performance department for WHS plus you get a slight power savings over time. I've had a couple of these as secondary drives in my WHS box since day one with no issues whatsoever, of course like any new drive there is always long term reliability concerns until time has proven them.

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:39 PM
  • Have you considered WD's RE drives?  I think 750GB is the biggest but they are designed for 24x7 use, have 5 yr warantee and 1.2m hrs MTBF.

Friday, December 14, 2007 1:36 PM
  • WD's Raid Edition drives are not designed for use as standalone drives, which is how Windows Home Server uses them. See the WD white paper on TLER for more details.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 7:36 PM