Restore a W7 64bit laptop from WHS backup RRS feed

• Question

• My son infected his laptop, he goes back to college tomorrow so I'm under some pressure to resolve this.

Dell Inspiron Laptop with W7 64bit installed (upgraded from Vista), the WHS restore CD boots but won't accept any of the drivers I offer it for the network card. I've tried the drivers from WHS backup, I've tried downloading 64 and 32bit drivers from Dell website but still no joy, it won't load a network driver for the Intel card so won't connect to the server (I am using an ethernet)

Thanks

Thursday, April 8, 2010 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The restore CD is based on 32-Bit vista.  Hence 64-bit drivers will not work with the restore CD.  You will have to locate the (XP or Vista) 32-Bit drivers for your network and hard disk controller.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:20 AM
  • Thanks Al

I tried the 32bit XP drivers, guess I'll have to find some 32bit Vista drivers and see if they work. I think it is a bit ____ it doesn't support 64bit considering how long ago 64bit Vista was released.

Best regards

Jon

Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:27 AM
  • The restore cd is actually based on the Windows Vista preinstallation environment, not Vista. WinPE is a 32 bit operating system. If you feel strongly about this, there's a suggestion on Connect regarding this issue which you can vote on. You will have to register on Connect, and join the Windows Home Server program there, if you haven't already done so.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Thank you Ken

I'll take a look at that... spent many years running windows servers and been very impressed with WHS to now, am looking to spend time around the community so I can better use the tool I have.

Best regards

Jon

Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:25 PM