Gneral filesystem drive housekeeping... recovering space... RRS feed

• Question

• I wondered if my general housekeeping practice I do with my XP desktops, could be applied to WHS...

Moving the pagefile to another disk can save a minimum of 2gb on mys SYS drive, and theoretically improve swap file performance

Deleting the Software Distribution\Downloads folder could free up nearly 1gb too...

Deleting the $NtUninstallxxxxxxxxx$ and related Service Pack Unicstall folder would also free up several hundren mb..

Tehy have no implact ont he desktop, so are they safe to get rid of on WHS...

I see no point cluttering the disk up with unecessary archives...
    DrSoton
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:06 PM

Answers

• Pagefile on a managed volume is not a good idea, since this may slowdown the disk access for WHS components. Also it is needed on C: for memory dumps in case of a necessary crash analysis. I would not see anything speaking against lowering the size of the page file by setting it manually.
    No comment about the software distibution folder, should be able to do this.
    Before deleting all $NTUninstall folders keep an eye on the WHS specific ones. We had situations, which could be solved by a server reinstallation or by temporary uninstalling Power Pack 1 or the November update for WHS. If they are gone, uninstall is no longer possible.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:41 PM

All replies

• Pagefile on a managed volume is not a good idea, since this may slowdown the disk access for WHS components. Also it is needed on C: for memory dumps in case of a necessary crash analysis. I would not see anything speaking against lowering the size of the page file by setting it manually.
    No comment about the software distibution folder, should be able to do this.
    Before deleting all $NTUninstall folders keep an eye on the WHS specific ones. We had situations, which could be solved by a server reinstallation or by temporary uninstalling Power Pack 1 or the November update for WHS. If they are gone, uninstall is no longer possible.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Thanks....
    DrSoton
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:46 PM
  • I would be careful about permanently removing the $NTUninstall folders. I think it is better to compress them, burn them on a CD or move them to a different hard drive if you are worried about space issues. If you ever need to remove a patch later on you will need to have these files around.

I realize that 99% of the time that most people never roll back a patch but I don't want other people who read this post later on to blindly delete these folders without knowing the facts. For more information read this article: http://ask-leo.com/can_ntuninstall_folders_be_deleted.html

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:03 PM
  • A better answer than Olaf's would be that, if your server is operating normally, then you should simply leave it alone to do so. There is no need to "tweak" the operating system. Even without such tweaks, it should provide more than adequate performance, given that your primary bottleneck is likely to be your network throughput.

And bear in mind that any access to your server other than through the Windows Home Server console, the shares, and the Remote Access web site, is unsupported and potentially dangerous.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:14 PM