Undo changes in attributes (edit mode) in crm 2013 once you have tabbed out or lost focus. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

While exploring CRM 2013, one behavior which is troubling me is to undo changes in any attribute once you edit & then tab out from it.

This is very important because, once user has made a change in any attribute, on lost focus of attribute (i.e. after tab out from it) "Ctrl + Z" doesn't work. In addition to this, since CRM 2013 doesn’t open new records in pop-ups by default (which is good anyways), there is no way to refresh current opened record for getting earlier saved changes or by closing the form & reopen to refresh changes like in CRM 2011 style.

This may cause serious data loss as if any user has changed some critical field value by mistake (e.g. Opportunity Topic, Account Name, Lead Name) & tabed-out from it, then consider it saved permanently. It'll be either saved because of auto save feature in 30 sec cycle or any action which diverts user from this current record, will cause that record to save first & then close it or open other sections.

Is this intended behavior or we are assuming that users won't make any mistake in editing already saved records? :)

Please help...

Regards,

Rugved Gokhale

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hello All,

A simple change helps in this case. Changing browser from IE to Chrome. If you are using it in chrome, it allows to undo your changes when the field is active (even after it is tab-out once & clicking the field again. For some reasons my old browser IE 8 doesn't seem to work here this way hence logged this thread). Don't know why IE stops from doing that. I have checked it in latest chrome available & it works.

Thanks & Regards,

Rugved Gokhale

• Marked as answer by Rugved Gokhale Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:37 AM

All replies

• Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:17 AM
  • This is the new behaviour of the form. Try using auditing to get the previous value of field. Otherwise you might need to save the previous values onload of form.

Regards Faisal

Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Thanks Guido & Faisal for your replies.

Unfortunately this looks like a new behavior in CRM 2013 which causes entity form to be saved automatically before going out of scope (even if Auto Save cycle of 30 sec is disabled). But managing this with Audit History will not at all be feasible as this case can occur with all entities & its all editable attributes (mentioned entities were just for examples). With audit history approach, it would be possible (technically on paper)but not feasible looking to the practical overheads.

But at the end, this behavior might cause data issues ahead and can occur with every CRM 2013 implementations. 

Regards,

Rugved Gokhale

Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:29 PM
  • Disabling the auto-save functionality can be a solution in your case?

http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2013/10/21/microsoft-dynamics-crm-2013-autosave-feature/

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

As far as I remember, disabling auto-save will be removed from future release of CRM 2013, so I would not recommend disabling the functionality.

I don't really understand your point about "This may cause serious data loss as if any user has changed some critical field value by mistake (e.g. Opportunity Topic, Account Name, Lead Name) & tabed-out from it, then consider it saved permanently"

I think when we talk about a business solution like CRM here, users should give proper training about how to use CRM 2013 before they "play around". With a combination of CRM security module(role, team, field security), you should only allow certain users to change critical fields for the business

Jaimie

• Edited by Jaimie Ji Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:34 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:29 PM
  •  

Hi Jaimie,

Agreed that users working on such sophisticated software’s should be trained users. But attempt to avoid this using correctly arranged security will not help much as those are only critical fields which highlighted, where as its possible with all the fields.

Current behavior is like if something is edited & focus is lost on tab-out then its as good as committed to database. Also, irrespective of quality & quantity of trainings given, users would always require facility to undo if something is incorrectly typed or edited by mistake.

Regards,

Rugved Gokhale

Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Hi

With auto-save, users still can correct the typo if they have changed anything. In the meantime, make business critical fields only changeable by certain users. Turn on CRM audit. All of these should provide enough information about the changes if there was an error.

From my opinion, auto-save actually provide a better approach to prevent data loss compared to crm 2011 and previous version.

Jaimie

Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:00 PM
  • I agree with Jamie as it is difficult to find a solution for the errors committed by human beings.

Regards Faisal

Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Hi Rugved, I could not agree more with you here. Try taking undo out of Word, call the users 'untrained' and 'lacking in discipline'. Undo is a standard ability in software.

I too noticed that tabing and changing data cannot be undone. Having to memorize what was there before or lookup auditing records is not a solution.

Unfortunately 'we' all used the form close 'discard changes' as a feature if you managed to change information by mistake - OR intentionally and change your mind. Simply close the window and safely throw away your changes.

With all due respect to the responses here, CRM is a data entry tool and this has to be taken into consideration with the user interface.

Note that in CRM 2013 and 2011, if the user has the field still active, Ctrl+z works to undo errors.

If anyone feels the need I have added a request in the Microsoft Connect system;

https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamicssuggestions/feedback/details/806509/crm2013-unable-to-undo-field-changes-after-leaving-field

Friday, October 25, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Hello All,

A simple change helps in this case. Changing browser from IE to Chrome. If you are using it in chrome, it allows to undo your changes when the field is active (even after it is tab-out once & clicking the field again. For some reasons my old browser IE 8 doesn't seem to work here this way hence logged this thread). Don't know why IE stops from doing that. I have checked it in latest chrome available & it works.

Thanks & Regards,

Rugved Gokhale

• Marked as answer by Rugved Gokhale Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:37 AM
  • Hi,

What if my company blocked Google Chrome and we only allow to use IE.

Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks

HweeHoon

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:35 AM
  • Yes there is a workaround if chrome if out of reach. To go ahead with that, register a JScript handler through Form Properties on "Form -> OnSave" & pass the context to this method. Using context, you can track the "Mode of Save" i.e. Save, Save & Close, AutoSave, etc.

You will have to manually prevent the save operation by using "context.preventDefault()" method in case the save mode is Autosave (value 70) & Save N Close (value 2).

Note:- But treat this as a workaround only; As this will have to be done on all entities where you want to prevent save operation because of AutoSave or automatically triggered SaveNClose operation i.e. on form close.

Thanks & Regards,

Rugved Gokhale

Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:51 AM