Help!!! So many issues... Onecare circle issues, startup issues, update issues... RRS feed

• Question

• O.k. Let's start from the top... I have 3 computers all running the program. All three get notices for being in the yellow... for backup issues... could care less about that, I have backup CD's already, except on my computer only, I get, you need to update at windows update, which I go to WINDOWS UPDATE and download the 1 and only update available and it fails to download. That one update was already on computer so I uninstalled it, thinking that would fix it and I can't reinstall it even now. So that notice never ends, very annoying... How do I fix this issue? Never had problems with update site till I installed this program.

Now, at startup on my computer, onecare fails to load on the first startup and have to restart computer over again. Then I get a red notice, my #2 computer, a laptop thats turned off, needs to have virus and firewall turned on even thou it's BEEN SHUTDOWN AND TURNED OFF !!! When I go to the page to manage your onecare circle the only option under that #2 computer is to remove it completely from onecare circle. I don't want it removed from computer, if it's not going to work now on the #2 computer, I just don't want to be bothered with all the notices everyday and I don't want to have to turn on all the computers just to get on my computer hassle free.... Shouldn't there be a IGNORE THIS ISSUE BUTTON? OR SOMETHING?

SO READY TO SAY BYE-BYE TO ONECARE AND HELLO TO SPYWARE AND VIRUSES ... BECAUSE THIS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE...
    Monday, January 21, 2008 8:51 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry to read of your problems.

You should configure backup and turn off backup for all PCs. This will remove the first warning.

The Windows Update problem sounds like a disconnect between the Windows Update catalog and OneCare. I don't have a solution for that, so you may need to contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Of your 3 computers that have OneCare, which one is having the startup problems? Have you looked at this post? http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

The concept of the hub is that you can't ignore a critical issue. If OneCare is failing on PC#2, it needs to be fixed or removed from the Circle, which means removing it from the subscription *or* you can change your hub to not be a hub and then you will no longer see warnings for the other PCs. You do not need to have any PC set to be a hub and you can promote and demote this status at any time on any PC. If you are using Centralized backup, then you'd want a PC to be a hub if it is hosting the Share for the backups. If you wish to manage all PCs of your subscription from one location, you want a hub.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:44 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry to read of your problems.

You should configure backup and turn off backup for all PCs. This will remove the first warning.

The Windows Update problem sounds like a disconnect between the Windows Update catalog and OneCare. I don't have a solution for that, so you may need to contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Of your 3 computers that have OneCare, which one is having the startup problems? Have you looked at this post? http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

The concept of the hub is that you can't ignore a critical issue. If OneCare is failing on PC#2, it needs to be fixed or removed from the Circle, which means removing it from the subscription *or* you can change your hub to not be a hub and then you will no longer see warnings for the other PCs. You do not need to have any PC set to be a hub and you can promote and demote this status at any time on any PC. If you are using Centralized backup, then you'd want a PC to be a hub if it is hosting the Share for the backups. If you wish to manage all PCs of your subscription from one location, you want a hub.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:44 PM
  •  

Hi moons2all,

On the problem about it saying you need an update and it keeps your OneCare on yellow. I had this problem due to vista, but I think it might happen to XP as well.

my solution to get past this annoying message

first my computer would never install an update as it always failed it, I don't think I really needed it anyway. It wasn't a security update, it was a .net update, so in the windows update you can hide updates and tell it to never ask for this update and never install it, or until you manual install it.

This makes your windows update fully up-to-date, aka no more annoying message, well for the update part.. And if you have already deactivated the back up message then you should be green... for one computer any way.

One more thing, I have had a problem where there has been a failed update of OneCare, due to me not restarting it afterward.. I had to use the go online help and it used a firewall cleaner and a OneCare cleaner, then I was told to reinstall it. and its running fine. the only main thing I have lost is the logs.

I still think OneCare is fantastic.

Hope this helps

Krazybone

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:58 AM