Windows Home Server Connector Installation Error RRS feed

• Question

• After my Home Server downloaded and instlled Power Pack 2, one of my PC's was unable to upgrade the connector software. I have removed the PC from the WHS Computers and Backups screen on the WHS and uninstalled the connector software from the PC.

When I try to reinstall the connector software on the PC, I get the following error:

An error occurred during installation of assembly "WHSMediaBackGround, version="6.0.0.0"31BF3856AD364E35",processorArchitechure="MSIL". Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:0x80131018.

During the installation attempt, the installer locates the WHS, continues through the installation routine, and the error occurs during the publishing phase. Also, the installer does not ask for a password?

Has anyone experienced this error and are there any known solutions?

Please help.

Friday, March 27, 2009 2:45 PM

All replies

• Did you try installing the connector software directly from your Windows Home Server, opening http://{servername}:55000 from IE?

Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Did you try installing the connector software directly from your Windows Home Server, opening http://{servername}:55000 from IE?

Theo.

Theo, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have tried installing from the web page, but I still get the error. I was trying again last night and I somehow manged to install an old version of the connector (I think used the installer on the local machine). However, when connector asked to upgrade to the new version, I ran into the same error.

I have successfully installed the connecotr software on one Vista pc and two XP pc's on the same network. I'm starting to think that the problem is on the local Vista pc that is encountering the error, but it worked find before the Power Pack 2 upgrade.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Dean
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:03 PM

• The error references an assembly file named "WHSMediaBackGround"? As I am unfamiliar with its excistance (it is on none of my machines?) I have no idea what might cause this error. Best would be to post a bug-report/feedback to Micrsoft Connect (you'll neeed a CAB number)

Maybe support from Connect can help you solve this...
    Theo.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:51 AM
  • Issues with assemblies could point to issues with the local installation of .NET Framework.
    Or you have a OEM system, and their installation file located in the folder OEM on \\server\home server connector software is bugged or not up to date.
    So you could check, if the maker of your WHS has updates for his software. If not, try to remove the OEM folder from the home server connector software folder on your software share and try the installation again. (I also could not find a reference to the mentioned assembly in my Vista 32 Bit registry, so it is not part of a standard installation.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:28 AM