OCS Installation Prep Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Question:  Has anyone encountered any problems when performing the Prep Schema step, Prep Forest Step or the Prep Domain Step.

I am about to install now in my production environment and was wondering if there should be anything I should watch out for.

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 4:48 PM

Answers

• One other thing to note: if replication hasn't completed, you won't be able to succesfully complete the next steps in the wizard. You will often get errors in the logs saying "object doesn't exist" or some such phrases. In fact, some steps don't even become "available" to click on until the wizard has checked AD to make sure certain information has been replicated.

Definitely have patience... the replication in large multi-site, multi-domain organizations can take a while. Give it a while to do its thing, run the command(s) that Jeff recommended, and you'll be fine!

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:06 AM

All replies

• Some people have run into issues, but they are typically different and related to the AD-DNS configuration.  Or when adding Windows 2008 into the mix.

It's a relatively simple process that should work fine in a healthy environment.  Just take each step one and a time and let replication fully complete before moving to the next.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Thanks Jeff,

Is there a easy way to determine that replication has completed?  I have the Master DC and 3 other DC in different parts of the US.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Sure, this command will return a report on all DC with any replication deltas:

repadmin /replsum /bysrc /bydest /sort:delta

Replication Summary Start Time: 2007-08-23 13:44:50

Beginning data collection for replication summary, this may take awhile: ..........

Source DC           largest delta  fails/total  %%  error

DC01                      58m:13s    0 /  18    0

DC02                      58m:12s    0 /  20    0

DC03                      57m:57s    0 /  27    0

Destination DC    largest delta    fails/total  %%  error

DC02                      59m:41s    0 /  21    0

DC01                      58m:12s    0 /  30    0

DC03                      57m:59s    0 /  27    0

There are many attributes you can look at and compare across DCs but if you simply wait longer than what the longest delta time is, then you can 'assume' that all changes have fully replicated.  I wounld't expect to see a problem in a healthy forest.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Thanks Jeff,

That helps, I will use it.  Do you know if you have to perform the 'Delegating Setup' section of the install?  There are no plans to delegate tasks at this point, maybe way in the future.

I would like to step this if I can and it would be a problem later.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Only if you have th eneed to delegate some of these installation tasks to other personnel.  If you will be performing all the steps, then there is no need.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 8:40 PM
  • One other thing to note: if replication hasn't completed, you won't be able to succesfully complete the next steps in the wizard. You will often get errors in the logs saying "object doesn't exist" or some such phrases. In fact, some steps don't even become "available" to click on until the wizard has checked AD to make sure certain information has been replicated.

Definitely have patience... the replication in large multi-site, multi-domain organizations can take a while. Give it a while to do its thing, run the command(s) that Jeff recommended, and you'll be fine!

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:06 AM