Clean install of Windows XP, SP2 to machine shipped with Vista no longer recognized as valid RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with an HP DV5-1253CL that shipped with Vista (64 bit) installed.

I need to have Windows XP (32 bit) for application compatibility, so I found a retailer who still had sealed retail copies of XP Professional, Service Pack 2 and bought two, one for the subject laptop, and one for a machine yet to be purchased.

Because of the disk drive driver issue, my first attempt to install failed on the blue screen of death.  Known problem to the forum.

Slipstreamed the driver into a copy of the original XP disk and installed without a problem.  Performed the Windows XP activation and validation without incident.

Loaded all the other drivers required to get things running without any hardware failures or conflicts reported.  Everything looked fine and operated as expected for several weeks.

Now comes Microsoft with Genuine Windows Advantage telling me that I may be the victim of pirated software.  Since Windows Genuine Advantage will not recognize the product key as legitimate, and I can't seem to get a live person on the phone at Microsoft, it begins to look like my only choice is to pay Microsoft for the software all over again.

I've looked at the labels on the box, the product license tag, and the the install disk and all look like the examples to me.

Has anyone solved this problem with GWA not recognizing the product key?

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:06 PM

Answers

• Hi csmgroup,

The Product Key used to install your current Windows XP is a Volume License Key that was blocked by Microsoft at the request of the Key's owner because the Key has leaked to the internet
    (You can confirm this for yourself by going to http://bing.com and seach for the last 15 digits of the Product Key listed in the Diagnostic Report (above).  You will find 10+ pages of websites that contain that VLK Product Key).

Volume License Keys are only sold as a Volume License Agreement that grants a specific number of Licenses to the owner to use that VLK key to install a specific number of copys of XP (usually greater then 100).  Those Licenses can not be given away or resold to others.

Now, we want to confirm that the Product Key that came with your bought copy of XP is (or is not) that same as the VLK Key listed in the above Diag Report.

A)  If the Product Key that came with your copy of XP Does Not Match the Product key listed in the Diagnostic Report, then your first step is to use the Product Key Update tool to change the VLK product key to the proper key that came with your XP (if the PK Update tool does not work, for any reason, then your only other option is to reinstall XP using the proper key that came with your XP).

Once you have the proper key in the XP, and XP is Activated, run the Diagnostic Tool again and confirm that the report shows the "Validation Status:" as "Genuine". If it doesn't show genuine, see B) below.  

B)  If the Product Key that came with your copy of XP Does Matche the Product key listed in the Diagnostic Report, I highly recommend contacting the person or company that sold you the software and Demand the Genuine Microsoft Software, that you paided for (or at least a Refund) I also recommend submitting a Piracy Report against the seller at http://microsoft.com/piracy.

Thank you,
    Darin MS 

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:02 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hello csmgroup,

Your first step would be to go to http://microsoft.com/genuine and click the "Validate Windows" button. It should tell you why your XP is showing as non-genuine.

If you don't understand results or if the Validation results indicate an issue with XP that may be causing the non-genuine message, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread and I will troubleshoot the issue.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:08 PM

• Darin,

Thanks for your post.

First step says there is a blocked volume license key.  That doesn't seem to make a lot sense since I installed a retail product, but what the heck, I went on to the second step. 

Here is the report from MGADiag.  Any help you can provide is welcomed. 

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-TJP22-JH84C-VCYJW
    Windows Product Key Hash: IJlOIosJbqWiGCG7HqMsZlF3x48=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-9311511-23207
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {262638F4-B43D-4CB2-AF19-31D74530DDB3}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{262638F4-B43D-4CB2-AF19-31D74530DDB3}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VCYJW</PKey><PID>55274-640-9311511-23207</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1229272821-573735546-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.11</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20081029000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>12C031AF0184E079</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 5378:Compaq Computer Corporation|5378:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Hello csmgroup,

As you noted the computer currently has a volume licensing edition of XP Pro on it.  If you do an internet search on the partial product key you'll see this is a widely "popular" pirated product key listed on many websites.

Assuming one of the supposedly-retail XPs did the installation against which the posted mgadiag report was generated, it's likely that you have inadvertently acquired counterfeit software.

You can visit www.howtotell.com to get tips on evaluating your materials to see if they have the typical tell-tales of hi-grade counterfeits:

1.  Is the hologrammed label a thin label attached to the CD surface or is it embedded in the plastic of the CD?
    2.  Does the retail packaging have any typographical errors?
    3.  Does the CoA on the package boxtop have the security threads?
    4.  Does the partial product key reported above TJP22-JH84C-VCYJW correspond to what's printed on the yellow-orange Product Key label in the retail packaging?
    4.  Load the CD itself and navigate to the \i386 folder and find the setupp.ini file.  This is small text file with two sections.  Copy and paste the last section into a reply.

If the materials seem to be hi-grade counterfeits, return them to the retailer for a full refund.  If they balk, tell them that you'll be submitting a piracy report to Microsoft.

Note that if your HP computer came with Vista Business or Vista Ultimate, the Software Licensing Terms for those two editions allow you OS downgrade rights, which means there was no need to purchase full licenses for XP Pro, since the OEM licenses for Vista Biz and Ult allow you to run XP Pro instead.  The only task would have been to acquire installation media and Product Keys for XP Pro, which may have been available from HP for a nominal charge.  Unfortunately Vista Home does not confer these downgrade rights.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Hi csmgroup,

The Product Key used to install your current Windows XP is a Volume License Key that was blocked by Microsoft at the request of the Key's owner because the Key has leaked to the internet
    (You can confirm this for yourself by going to http://bing.com and seach for the last 15 digits of the Product Key listed in the Diagnostic Report (above).  You will find 10+ pages of websites that contain that VLK Product Key).

Volume License Keys are only sold as a Volume License Agreement that grants a specific number of Licenses to the owner to use that VLK key to install a specific number of copys of XP (usually greater then 100).  Those Licenses can not be given away or resold to others.

Now, we want to confirm that the Product Key that came with your bought copy of XP is (or is not) that same as the VLK Key listed in the above Diag Report.

A)  If the Product Key that came with your copy of XP Does Not Match the Product key listed in the Diagnostic Report, then your first step is to use the Product Key Update tool to change the VLK product key to the proper key that came with your XP (if the PK Update tool does not work, for any reason, then your only other option is to reinstall XP using the proper key that came with your XP).

Once you have the proper key in the XP, and XP is Activated, run the Diagnostic Tool again and confirm that the report shows the "Validation Status:" as "Genuine". If it doesn't show genuine, see B) below.  

B)  If the Product Key that came with your copy of XP Does Matche the Product key listed in the Diagnostic Report, I highly recommend contacting the person or company that sold you the software and Demand the Genuine Microsoft Software, that you paided for (or at least a Refund) I also recommend submitting a Piracy Report against the seller at http://microsoft.com/piracy.

Thank you,
    Darin MS 

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:02 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:56 PM