error msg = “ntdetect failed” during start RRS feed

• Question

• error msg = “ntdetect failed”
    WHS begins the boot process, after bios load , get error msg = “ntdetect failed”
    I decided to reinstall WHS, w/ the WHS install dvd in the drive, get the same error msg at the same point.
    I have searched this forum for any reported issues, none found
    My system hardware is dual core processor w/ 4GB of DDR2 memory.  Two internal SATA HD's and two external SATA HD's.  I have been using WHS for about a year, w/ minimal problems.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 10:23 PM

Answers

• I got frustrated, removed the hdd's used a different hdd, reinstalled WHS and am now back in business.

thank you for the suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Jim

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:04 PM

All replies

• Sounds like it may not be detecting your boot disk. Try changing your SATA options from AHCI to IDE
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Try pulling all but one stick of RAM, see if you have the error. If you do try another stick of RAM. If you don't get the error try adding one by one back in until you get error. You could have a bad stick of RAM and when ntdetect is being loaded into memory it hitting a bad stick of ram.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:02 AM
  • Try pulling all but one stick of RAM, see if you have the error. If you do try another stick of RAM. If you don't get the error try adding one by one back in until you get error. You could have a bad stick of RAM and when ntdetect is being loaded into memory it hitting a bad stick of ram.

Agree with evaders, check this post http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555304/en-us  It applies to xp but gives the same idea. Sounds like your system drive. 
    Mark G
    • Proposed as answer by Lunker 1 Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:43 AM
  • I got frustrated, removed the hdd's used a different hdd, reinstalled WHS and am now back in business.

thank you for the suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Jim

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:04 PM