WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE FILES RRS feed

• Question

• WHY IS IT THAT WHEN I HAVE BACKED UP MY COMPUTER USING WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, WHICH WAS AT FIRST ABOUT 86GB.

WHEN I LOOKED INTO THE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, ALL THE FILES WERE SCATTERED EVERYWHERE IN LITTLE FILES CONTAINING JUST A FEW OF THE ORIGINAL, E.G. MY PICTURE FOLDER HAS BEEN MADE INTO ABOUT 10 DIFFERENT FOLDERS CONTAINING A FEW OF THE PICTURES.

WHY ISN'T ALL THE FILES JUST KEPT IN THEIR ORIGINAL STATE??

PLEASE HELP, OTHERWISE THIS BACKUP IS USELESS IF YOU CAN'T EVEN ACCESS YOUR DATA EFFICIENTLY, BUT HAVE TO EXTRACT EVERY PIECE OF DATA AND SORT THEM OUT YOURSELF.

BAO

PLEASE HELP!!
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:22 PM

Answers

• First of all, please turn *off* the CAPS LOCK on your keyboard. Using all uppercase is considered shouting and is generally considered to be rude.

The OneCare backup compresses the files to save space on the destination, as do most other backup programs. To access the backed up data, you then need to use the Restore feature from OneCare - which will put the restored data back to the original locations. If you want to see your files in their original form, you don't want a backup, you want a copy. You can manually copy the files using Windows Explorer or you can have a look at a program called SyncToy, which is a free utility offered by Microsoft that allows you to keep files and folders synchronized between locations.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0fc1154-c975-4814-9649-cce41af06eb7&DisplayLang=en

-steve

Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:18 PM