Files Missing on Server RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, I'm getting really annoyed at my Home Server right now.  When it's working, it's great,  but....

I just last month finished reripping 75GB or so of music, (10000 songs, 800 albums, whichever metric you want to use for it) after WHS ruined my collection the first time by the file corruption bug that has since been fixed.

Now, I went to play my music via a connected Vista PC using Media Center, and lo and behold, quite a few files have entirely vanished, without my doing anything, and nobody else has write access besides myself.

Hoping that maybe somehow the files are still there, for fear of having to rerip all of that music yet again (since there's no way for sure to just see which files are gone in order to rip them), I logged into remote desktop.  First, I went to check the Home Server console, which states all drives are healthy.  Then, I went into C:\fs\<drive>shares\music\ just hoping that maybe, possibly, I would be able to find the files there, just to check if they still existed.  And, as it turns out, they're gone completely from the drives.  This a share which, by the way, has folder duplication turned on, specifically for times when files might get corrupted or something, but I guess that can't help when WHS just decides to eat files.

And I checked the event viewer, thinking maybe an error message there might explain some way it might be possible to salvage those files, and I've the only warnings or errors it gave me were:

A warning from the source MRxSMB saying "The redirector failed to determine the connection type."
    An error from disk saying, "The device, \Device\Harddisk7, has a bad block."  (Isn't this EXACTLY what folder duplication is supposed to prevent data loss from?  And why is the drive being listed as healthy if that's the case?)
    Finally, an error from VolSnap saying "The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\V were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:\fs\V."

I rechecked again to see if maybe C:\fs\V\shares\music was showing the missing files and maybe they just for some reason weren't getting mounted to the \\SERVER\Music share, but they don't exist there either.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 9:05 PM

All replies

• JHoff80 said:

Okay, I'm getting really annoyed at my Home Server right now.  When it's working, it's great,  but....

I just last month finished reripping 75GB or so of music, (10000 songs, 800 albums, whichever metric you want to use for it) after WHS ruined my collection the first time by the file corruption bug that has since been fixed.

Now, I went to play my music via a connected Vista PC using Media Center, and lo and behold, quite a few files have entirely vanished, without my doing anything, and nobody else has write access besides myself.

Hoping that maybe somehow the files are still there, for fear of having to rerip all of that music yet again (since there's no way for sure to just see which files are gone in order to rip them), I logged into remote desktop.  First, I went to check the Home Server console, which states all drives are healthy.  Then, I went into C:\fs\<drive>shares\music\ just hoping that maybe, possibly, I would be able to find the files there, just to check if they still existed.  And, as it turns out, they're gone completely from the drives.  This a share which, by the way, has folder duplication turned on, specifically for times when files might get corrupted or something, but I guess that can't help when WHS just decides to eat files.

And I checked the event viewer, thinking maybe an error message there might explain some way it might be possible to salvage those files, and I've the only warnings or errors it gave me were:

A warning from the source MRxSMB saying "The redirector failed to determine the connection type."
    An error from disk saying, "The device, \Device\Harddisk7, has a bad block."  (Isn't this EXACTLY what folder duplication is supposed to prevent data loss from?  And why is the drive being listed as healthy if that's the case?)
    Finally, an error from VolSnap saying "The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\V were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:\fs\V."

I rechecked again to see if maybe C:\fs\V\shares\music was showing the missing files and maybe they just for some reason weren't getting mounted to the \\SERVER\Music share, but they don't exist there either.

Hi,

Network health currently does not flag a drive as unhealthy until it fails chkdsk for 4 days. We are aware of this and are working to make changes to how this works in a later version of the product.

As for duplication and your files, in order to promote the secondary shadows, you will need to remove the the affected drive. Before you do this, can you copy the version numbers found in the Windows Home Server console? These are found under settings>resources. Please be sure to list all the numbers.

Can you also verify that you have enough free space to remove this drive?

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 1:07 AM
  • I've got enough free space, yes, though with 8 drives, it's not exactly simple to tell which one is "harddisk7" or which one corresponds to C:\fs\V.

And I've got 4 that are WD7500AAKS, and another 4 that are WD7500AACS, so even if there's a way to narrow things down that way, it's not much of a help.

Is there any chance that the order in which they're listed in the Console corresponds somehow to how they're listed by letter or something?

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

And as I mentioned, I manually browsed through all of the C:\fs\<drive> letters, and didn't see any listings of the files that are missing in that, so would removing the drive even help?
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:21 AM
  • JHoff80 said:

I've got enough free space, yes, though with 8 drives, it's not exactly simple to tell which one is "harddisk7" or which one corresponds to C:\fs\V.

And I've got 4 that are WD7500AAKS, and another 4 that are WD7500AACS, so even if there's a way to narrow things down that way, it's not much of a help.

Is there any chance that the order in which they're listed in the Console corresponds somehow to how they're listed by letter or something?

Not really.  If the drives weren't mapped (manually by you) when they were placed in the server and if they are all the same size, your best bet is to download and install the disk management add-in.

JHoff80 said:And as I mentioned, I manually browsed through all of the C:\fs\<drive> letters, and didn't see any listings of the files that are missing in that, so would removing the drive even help?

Do you have show hidden files and folders turned on? The data will be under the \DE directory but generally it is not a good idea to access these files in this manner.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Yes, I have show hidden files and folders on, so I'd imagine if the missing songs didn't exist in any of the hidden mounted volumes at C:\fs\ then they don't exist at all, though I could be mistaken.  I don't want to go through the trouble of removing a drive if it's not even going to help...
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:14 AM
  • Okay so I'm trying to figure out which drive needs to be removed.  Do the drives show up in order?

In other words, I know that 0,1,2, and 3 are on the motherboard's connectors, and 4,5,6, and 7 are on an SATA card.

On the SATA card, should port 1= 4, port 2=5, 3=6, 4=7?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:20 PM
  • JHoff80 said:

Okay so I'm trying to figure out which drive needs to be removed.  Do the drives show up in order?

No.

JHoff80 said:

In other words, I know that 0,1,2, and 3 are on the motherboard's connectors, and 4,5,6, and 7 are on an SATA card.

On the SATA card, should port 1= 4, port 2=5, 3=6, 4=7?

There is no pattern.  If you don't have a map of which drive is which at this point, your only options are A) try to figure it out through the drive Properties (total space and used space) plus the Disk Management add-in or B) shut down the server, disconnect a drive, power it back up and see which one is missing.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:57 AM