why does OneCare have a print sharing feature? RRS feed

• Question

• Most people who set up a network already know about print sharing and have it set up- so what is the need for this new feature in OneCare? I found it a nuissance. Or, does it add something to the OSs print sharing function?

Joe

Sunday, January 20, 2008 11:22 PM

Answers

• You and I understand File and Printer sharing. Many people do not. OneCare adds this feature to extend functionality for those customers.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:41 AM

All replies

• You and I understand File and Printer sharing. Many people do not. OneCare adds this feature to extend functionality for those customers.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:41 AM
  • One of the great joys of onecare has been its relatively unintrusive nature, for which many many thanks.

No longer.

After the recent one care circle update - which was seemingly non optional - I am now annoyed several times a day on my various PCs by messages asking about printer sharing. PLEASE does anyone out there know how to switch this unwanted feature OFF.

I can see what you guys are trying to do, but PLEASE ensure clear optout instructions. I am now seriously considering looking at alternatives to onecare.

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Open OneCare on each PC in your Circle. Click Change Settings. Go to the Printer Sharing tab, uncheck "Automatically share all printers..."

Click OK.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:27 AM
  • This feature is really out of place. If Microsoft wants to extend functionality to its users, it should include  network setup wizards in the Windows OS that actually work.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:11 AM
  • You are confusing the Windows Live OneCare development group with the Windows Product Development group. They have nothing more to do with each other than Symantec, McAfee or any other AV developer, except that they are owned by the same umbrella organization and operate from the same campus in Redmond, so they probably care a bit more than some of the others might.

You just provided the justification for including automatic printer sharing, since Windows built-in printer sharing often doesn't work without lots of manual configuration. This is because the sharing methods and even the networking have been evolving very quickly over the last several years, creating situations where computers on the same physical network sometimes can't see each other.

This is why the feature was added, since they could either spend time having OneCare Support providing basic Windows network & sharing support or simply create their own bypass solution as some others have. Since an advanced user can easily ignore this feature, it's really not a big deal.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:44 AM
  • I like this feature.  Normally, to print from my wireless laptop I had to log into my desktop (both Vista machines), select the printer, right click on it and select "Connect".  This would hold to the next reboot in which I have to do the same thing over again.

With OC, now that is done automatically and it is like having the printer connected directly to the laptop.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:10 PM
  • OneCareBear:

An advanced user can't easily bypass this feature. If one disables the Print Sharing feature of Live OneCare, and then one establishes printer shares manually, upon a re-boot of the Live OneCare protected computer, all printer shares are deleted. If one re-enables the Print Sharing feature, Live OneCare then removes the shares manually established and reinstitutes shares for what Live OneCare determines to be "sharable" printers (often including the fax printers of multifunction units incorrectly). In short, Live OneCare has created an unmanageable condition (at least in my case) in which I can not share printers reliably on my network. When one enables IPP using IIS so I can print to my home network from my laptop while at the office, I can not depend upon the connection being there. It really does seem to be a "feature" that has a dubious connection to the stated system protection mission of Window Live OneCare. In any event, it is a feature that was not well conceived, nor well implemented.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 12:06 AM
  • RDpapot.
    Whatever you are experiencing is *not* the way this works. You can easily disable the Printer Sharing feature of OneCare and still retain the ability to manually share a printer using Windows File and printer sharing. If you are losing the ability to share a printer via Windows, your firewall settings are blocking sharing on startup, likely due to the network being identified as Public instead of Home or Work. This can happen if you have multiple active network adapters in the PC, including a virtual adapter for VMWare, for example.
    If you choose to enable OneCare printer sharing, it does *not* remove the shares created manually, in my experience. I don't know why you would be experiencing this and recommend that you contact support.
    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:34 PM