Is it possible to integrate Windows Home Server into a Domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am planning to buy a WHS for our office and use it as file server!! We are using W2K8 R2 DC. I simply want to know if it possible to add WHS to a Domain or is it just working within Workgroups?
    I appreciate your kind response.

Regards,
    Peiman
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:48 PM

Answers

• You can't join it to your domain. However, it will have no problems connecting to domain-joined computers as a backup solution (which is the role I see for organizations such as yours that are looking for a supplemental server for some reason). You can also access the shares from domain joined computers if you want, but security will be a bit of a pain.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:55 PM

All replies

• You can't join it to your domain. However, it will have no problems connecting to domain-joined computers as a backup solution (which is the role I see for organizations such as yours that are looking for a supplemental server for some reason). You can also access the shares from domain joined computers if you want, but security will be a bit of a pain.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. But I need it to be integrated into my domain exactly because of the security reasons as well! Do you know if the Windows Storage Server is able to be added into a domain or is it also not possible?
    I would like to replace old servers which are acting as file servers with a NAS which supports Windows security/file & directory permissions. The Buffalo Terastation ProII has a Linux based OS and is a pain!!! 
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Windows Storage Server 2008 is built on Windows Server 2008, so it will integrate directly with AD, etc.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:55 PM
  • Hi Ken,

thanks for the information provided. It is a great help.

Best regards,
    Peiman
    Monday, February 22, 2010 7:21 AM