Motivation RRS feed

• Question

• What possible reason is there to download any of the WGA notification/validation tools?
    If my installation isn't valid, I have to deal with annoying messages or pay extra money.

If my installation is valid, I have to deal with an undeleteable piece of software which runs at startup and wastes hard drive space, in addition to further complicating my registry. In other words, why can't I remove the WGA system once I've been validated as genuine? I simply can't understand Microsoft's motives for making WGA unremoveable once an installation is found to be legal. Is it suddenly going to become illegal?
    Friday, November 24, 2006 2:15 AM

Answers

• The main motivation behind this whole ordeal is simply to protect the interests of we, the paying customers.

If you go to the store and purchase a cd player and pay good money for it, how does this impact you when any schmuck just walks in the store, grabs one and walks out.  Now someone else is receiving the same benefits and functionality as you, but didn't pay for it.

Even worse, what if the criminals continue to walk in and take cd-players, then sell them for less price to others  (who will then have non-genuine/stolen cd-players). The criminals are now profiting from this and committing an even worse crime than before.

Microsoft has simply put a door guard on the store that is forcing you to show your merchandise and your receipt before you leave the store.  They took this one step further and now have that security guard come to your house and check the receipt "periodically" to ensure your CD player is genuine and not stolen merchandise.

This would still be *almost* acceptable if criminals weren't just simply going out the back door now.  The current stage of Genuine Advantage as it is now- only paying customers are being inconvenienced and invasion/prying while the criminals have simply found a way around the system and all the inconveniences it poses.

If you build a mousetrap, nature builds a better mouse.  The fact that Microsoft engineers are likely outnumbered 2000:1 doesn't help either.  The fact that supporting/debugging this experimental piece of software takes priority (i.e. paying customers with issues) also impedes forward progress.  With limited resources, I agree with Microsoft's direction of focus and resources.

But... we as paying consumers need to stay vocal to support this protection of our paid services, but also be vocal that if Microsoft has decided to instigate problems, issues, inconveniences and prying upon us, then we, the paying consumers, demand it be maintained. This war they have chosen to (finally) fight should be done with proper resources so it will continue to yield benefit.. versus only detriment.

Support WGA, be impeccable, complete and patient with support issues, report pirate resellers, and above all, continue to hound Microsoft so the good, dedicated folks here may get more resources to help them with this battle.

Monday, January 8, 2007 7:31 PM

All replies

• Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892130/en-us

The Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program and Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program are part of Microsoft's on-going effort to protect its customers and partners from counterfeit software and to increase customer awareness of the value of genuine Microsoft software. http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

The Windows Genuine Advantage http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyValidate.aspx

Global anti-piracy initiative ensures software authenticity, performance and support while providing ongoing system improvements. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx

Friday, November 24, 2006 3:04 AM
  • Yes, I understand (but do not agree with) the purpose of the WGA validation tool. However, why can't you remove it once you've confirmed that your copy of windows is legal? There's no reason at all to keep a piece of software that will only consume system resources with no other benefit.
    Friday, November 24, 2006 4:41 AM
  • The WGA file does not consume any resources.  Since Product Keys are sometimes stolen, misused, or used contrary to the End User License Agreement, WGA will periodically check with the Product Key clearinghouse server so you can be assured your license continues to remain genuine.
    Friday, November 24, 2006 3:07 PM
  • >> Since Product Keys are sometimes stolen, misused, or used contrary to the End User License Agreement, WGA will periodically check with the Product Key clearinghouse server so you can be assured your license continues to remain genuine. <<

Problem for some of us that got burned in error is your anti piracy software can disable any computer for any reason at anytime.

Saturday, November 25, 2006 2:08 PM
  • Stevenestrada,

There have been numerous posts by MS managers and executives, and numerous press releases from MS, which say that MS's antipiracy measures will not and moreover cannot disable or turn off a Windows installation.  So they keep saying it can't and you keep saying it can.

There we are.

Personally, I wish it could.

Saturday, November 25, 2006 4:46 PM
  • >> There have been numerous posts by MS managers and executives, and numerous press releases from MS, which say that MS's antipiracy measures will not and moreover cannot disable or turn off a Windows installation.  So they keep saying it can't and you keep saying it can.  <<

Forcing a customer to the oobe wizard is effectively cripplying the desktop.

http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=478672&SiteID=25

Saturday, November 25, 2006 9:53 PM
  • Sunday, November 26, 2006 12:50 AM
  • The main motivation behind this whole ordeal is simply to protect the interests of we, the paying customers.

If you go to the store and purchase a cd player and pay good money for it, how does this impact you when any schmuck just walks in the store, grabs one and walks out.  Now someone else is receiving the same benefits and functionality as you, but didn't pay for it.

Even worse, what if the criminals continue to walk in and take cd-players, then sell them for less price to others  (who will then have non-genuine/stolen cd-players). The criminals are now profiting from this and committing an even worse crime than before.

Microsoft has simply put a door guard on the store that is forcing you to show your merchandise and your receipt before you leave the store.  They took this one step further and now have that security guard come to your house and check the receipt "periodically" to ensure your CD player is genuine and not stolen merchandise.

This would still be *almost* acceptable if criminals weren't just simply going out the back door now.  The current stage of Genuine Advantage as it is now- only paying customers are being inconvenienced and invasion/prying while the criminals have simply found a way around the system and all the inconveniences it poses.

If you build a mousetrap, nature builds a better mouse.  The fact that Microsoft engineers are likely outnumbered 2000:1 doesn't help either.  The fact that supporting/debugging this experimental piece of software takes priority (i.e. paying customers with issues) also impedes forward progress.  With limited resources, I agree with Microsoft's direction of focus and resources.

But... we as paying consumers need to stay vocal to support this protection of our paid services, but also be vocal that if Microsoft has decided to instigate problems, issues, inconveniences and prying upon us, then we, the paying consumers, demand it be maintained. This war they have chosen to (finally) fight should be done with proper resources so it will continue to yield benefit.. versus only detriment.

Support WGA, be impeccable, complete and patient with support issues, report pirate resellers, and above all, continue to hound Microsoft so the good, dedicated folks here may get more resources to help them with this battle.

Monday, January 8, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Thank you, StevePO - very well stated.  We are working hard to raise awareness of the importance of acquiring and using genuine software, and we need you to tell us if/when we miss the mark.  One point you missed is the risks inherent in counterfeit software, we've found many instances of counterfeit now being used as a vector to infect or steal.  Through their vigilance, customers can prevent this type of problems.  Thanks again for keeping us honest, Steve.
    Saturday, February 10, 2007 12:30 AM