New Organization or BU RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We have a existing CRM Organization which is currently used by one of our department. Now another department want exactly same organization. Right now in existing org there is no BU.

What is the better way of doing it? Should i create a new org and import the customization to new org or should i just create a new BU in the current organization and give users access to that. Which one is better way. The only thing we need to take care is the data privacy. 2 departments dont want to share the data.

Another thing which comes in my mind is, if i create a new BU, it will be child BU to the existing BU and that way parent BU users will have access to all the data of Child BU. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• If the departments don't want to share any data it's suggest to create a new organizations.
    If you will create new BU earlier or later you will share some informations between these two BU's.

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by LearnQuick Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:15 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:54 PM
  • There are a few options.  Since this is one company with multiple departments, I would be inclined to create another business unit rather than a new organization for several reasons to include ease of administration, possible future sharing of data, reporting, etc.

Since you currently have the primary Organization, you could create two business units under that organization and move the current users to one of the new BU and use the other BU for the new deparment.  You can then adjust Security Role rights to read at the BU level or Parent level.

Here is a good tutorial by John O'Donnell on CRM security that might help you make a more informed decision.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:23 PM

All replies

• If the departments don't want to share any data it's suggest to create a new organizations.
    If you will create new BU earlier or later you will share some informations between these two BU's.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:54 PM
  • There are a few options.  Since this is one company with multiple departments, I would be inclined to create another business unit rather than a new organization for several reasons to include ease of administration, possible future sharing of data, reporting, etc.

Since you currently have the primary Organization, you could create two business units under that organization and move the current users to one of the new BU and use the other BU for the new deparment.  You can then adjust Security Role rights to read at the BU level or Parent level.

Here is a good tutorial by John O'Donnell on CRM security that might help you make a more informed decision.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Donna - as I mentioned earlier there are some items in Dynamics CRM which have a Organization scope like templates and some entities may have ownership Organization which means you have rights or not.

In Summary - if you don't want to share any data select new organization.

MS CRM is not a application which need huge amount of administration but you can spend a lot of time to find a resolution how to separete data.
    • Proposed as answer by kgorczewski Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Thanks Donna and kgorczewski for the response!

I like the way Donna suggested in order to keep one central organization but i am concerned about the changes which one department may want to make in future and other dont approve it. for instance the GUI changes, right now we have customized the system based on the requirement of on department. I dont know if i can change the GUI based on the user or business unit dynamically when user logs in.

So i may end up going with kgorczewski suggestion of creating new org initially and if after certain period we see that there is no changes requested and both orgs can be merged i will simply import the data to existing one in new BU. Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:15 PM
  • You're welcome, I'm glad the responses were helpful. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:36 PM