none
!Character count problem RRS feed

• Question

• Am trying to reply on a forum.  My actual character count is 1229, BUT a cannot submit reply as I get an error msg saying character count must be between 4 and 60000 characters.

Does any genius here at MS do math?  Perhaps I failed 5th grade arithmetic as I think 1229 IS between 4 and 60000!

What's wrong here?

I'm already disgusted with the useless "search filter" takinig up nearly all my resources; spent 2 hrs getting rid of it; now this compounds my disgust!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:30 PM

Answers

• I think for the original poster it was on our new release we did last friday.  So if you saw it before Ed, it was probably fixed.

The editor in our new release is completely new for us and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a problem with some browsers.  We have seen an instance were someone experienced something similar and sent us a screen shot and the editor had no buttons on it, so we think the editor has failed to load in some instances. 

If this happens and the submit button is pressed, when we call the editor to see how many characters are in it to validate it probably fails and we show the same error message that there isn't enough characters in it, which is obviously wrong and misleading.

So I'm trying to isolate the browsers this is seen on, to help find the problem and fix it.
    Sam Jarawan - Senior Development Lead - Server and Tools Online
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:02 PM

All replies

• It's apparently a bug, not that we don't know how to do math.  Can you give us a bit more info to help us figure out why you were seeing this so we can fix it.
    You were reply'ing to an existing thread, is that correct (versus starting a new thread)?  Do you always get this error when replying or was it just once?  What is your browser and version? 

I'm sorry to hear about your "search filter" we're the forums team and don't know much about this problem.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:21 PM
  • I got this bug some time ago and just gave up. It was not the longest post I ever did but it wasn't the shortest either. However it was well below the character count (as determined by copying the attempted post into Word and noting the character count). I even tried splitting my comments into one post and the code into another but it didn't work. I assumed this problem would eventually get fixed but apparently not. Ed McElroy
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:57 PM
  • I think for the original poster it was on our new release we did last friday.  So if you saw it before Ed, it was probably fixed.

The editor in our new release is completely new for us and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a problem with some browsers.  We have seen an instance were someone experienced something similar and sent us a screen shot and the editor had no buttons on it, so we think the editor has failed to load in some instances. 

If this happens and the submit button is pressed, when we call the editor to see how many characters are in it to validate it probably fails and we show the same error message that there isn't enough characters in it, which is obviously wrong and misleading.

So I'm trying to isolate the browsers this is seen on, to help find the problem and fix it.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:02 PM