Add Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• When adding a hard drive there is an option to add it to the server storage or to add it to backup files.
    Which one is used for enabling Folder Duplication? I beleive "total storage".
    If so, what is adding it as a backup drive used for? Is it used for manually backing up selected files to a hard drive that can be removed from the server whenever desired?
    Folder Duplication copies selected shared folders to a different drive, correct?
    If drive 1 fails then all the duplicates will be available on drive 2 (and vice versa)?
    If drive 1 fails and it has the system files on it also, how are the duplicates recovered?
    Is there a way to know what exactly is stored on each drive (view the contents)? I realize the idea of WHS is to view one big storage pool to keep things simple however I'm curious if there's a way for more in depth viewing/control of the drives?
    When reading about adding a drive but not adding it to the storage pool (because of Windows Home Server Drive Extender funtionality issues ((trying to install Quickbooks)), is Add a Hard Drive Wizard still used and it's added as a backup drive or is the Wizard not used at all and WHS sees it as a non storage, not added drive?
    When adding a drive for backup, I get the error message that the drive needs to have a partition created.  Is this done by RDP to the server>Disk management?
    Thanks for any help.
    Jamie
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:40 AM

Answers

• jamepcc said:

When adding a hard drive there is an option to add it to the server storage or to add it to backup files.
    Which one is used for enabling Folder Duplication? I beleive "total storage".

That's correct.

jamepcc said:

If so, what is adding it as a backup drive used for? Is it used for manually backing up selected files to a hard drive that can be removed from the server whenever desired?

More specifically, it's used to backup one or more shares (you cannot select individual files from within a share).

jamepcc said:

Folder Duplication copies selected shared folders to a different drive, correct?

Yep.

jamepcc said:

If drive 1 fails then all the duplicates will be available on drive 2 (and vice versa)?

Yes.

jamepcc said:

If drive 1 fails and it has the system files on it also, how are the duplicates recovered?

Through the Server Reinstallation process.

jamepcc said:

Is there a way to know what exactly is stored on each drive (view the contents)?

Yes.  There is an add-in called Duplication Info.

jamepcc said:

I realize the idea of WHS is to view one big storage pool to keep things simple however I'm curious if there's a way for more in depth viewing/control of the drives?

You can view using the add-in, but you cannot control where the data goes.

jamepcc said:

When reading about adding a drive but not adding it to the storage pool (because of Windows Home Server Drive Extender funtionality issues ((trying to install Quickbooks)), is Add a Hard Drive Wizard still used and it's added as a backup drive or is the Wizard not used at all and WHS sees it as a non storage, not added drive?

If you connect a drive to the server but don't go through the Console to add it (for either function), WHS will not use the drive.

jamepcc said:

When adding a drive for backup, I get the error message that the drive needs to have a partition created.  Is this done by RDP to the server>Disk management?
    Thanks for any help.
    Jamie

Accessing the server desktop is unsupported.  My suggestion would be to pull the drive and create a partition on that drive from a client PC, then re-connect it to the server.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:41 AM