Validatoin vs Hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• Um Hello I would like to ask a few question really quick. Do you have to purchase a new copy of windows if you install a hard drive in any PC/Laptop? Also I recently purchased a new laptop and slapped a copied SSD (the drive mimics what was previously in the machine) in it. I'm having validation issue because of course nothing in life is that easy. I know whats going to happen if I put the old hard drive back in the laptop its going to tell me that "this copy of windows 7 home premium is not valid." But will I have more options vs the blue screen that I'm stuck at with the ssd in the device? Also Since undoubtedly no one but me is going to fork over another copy of windows is there any other suggested options then buying a new copy of windows?
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:49 PM

Answers

• No further reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 17, 2011 10:52 PM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:52 PM

All replies

• "Megaman right" wrote in message news:eb7c441d-e93c-4f07-8a0c-208859dc4a72...
    Um Hello I would like to ask a few question really quick. Do you have to purchase a new copy of windows if you install a hard drive in any PC/Laptop? Also I recently purchased a new laptop and slapped a copied SSD (the drive mimics what was previously in the machine) in it. I'm having validation issue because of course nothing in life is that easy. I know whats going to happen if I put the old hard drive back in the laptop its going to tell me that "this copy of windows 7 home premium is not valid." But will I have more options vs the blue screen that I'm stuck at with the ssd in the device? Also Since undoubtedly no one but me is going to fork over another copy of windows is there any other suggested options then buying a new copy of windows?

most laptops come pre-installed with the OS, using an OEM license. This license is NOT transferable between machines, but can be reinstalled on the 'same computer' as many times as required.
    In MS Licensing terms, the 'same computer is defined as the motherboard (under 99% of circumstances), so you can change pretty much anything and everything else without a problem (including the disk drives).
    Where problems arise is from misunderstandings about the Keys in use.
    Most machine from big manufacturers arrive with TWO (2) keys - the one that the manufacturer uses to install the machine (the OEM_SLP key - which activates itself every so often by checking its certificates against data in the BIOS), and the machine's own 'personal' key (the OEM_COA key, which can be found on the COA sticker that is attached to the case)

There is NO reason why either disk mentioned above should claim to be 'not genuine' if installed from genuine media, since the hardware  has not changed as far as that HD is concerned (unless of course you have changed something else).

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:44 PM
  • "Megaman right" wrote in message news:eb7c441d-e93c-4f07-8a0c-208859dc4a72 ...
    Um Hello I would like to ask a few question really quick. Do you have to purchase a new copy of windows if you install a hard drive in any PC/Laptop? Also I recently purchased a new laptop and slapped a copied SSD (the drive mimics what was previously in the machine) in it. I'm having validation issue because of course nothing in life is that easy. I know whats going to happen if I put the old hard drive back in the laptop its going to tell me that "this copy of windows 7 home premium is not valid." But will I have more options vs the blue screen that I'm stuck at with the ssd in the device? Also Since undoubtedly no one but me is going to fork over another copy of windows is there any other suggested options then buying a new copy of windows?

most laptops come pre-installed with the OS, using an OEM license. This license is NOT transferable between machines, but can be reinstalled on the 'same computer' as many times as required.
    In MS Licensing terms, the 'same computer is defined as the motherboard (under 99% of circumstances), so you can change pretty much anything and everything else without a problem (including the disk drives).
    Most machine from big manufacturers arrive with TWO (2) keys - the one that the manufacturer uses to install the machine (the OEM_SLP key - which activates itself every so often by checking its certificates against data in the BIOS), and the machine's own 'personal' key (the OEM_COA key, which can be found on the COA sticker that is attached to the case)

There is NO reason why either disk mentioned above should claim to be 'not genuine' if installed from genuine media, since the hardware  has not changed as far as that HD is concerned (unless of course you have changed something else).

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Thanks Mr. or Ms. Noels the information on the different types of keys made things a little easier. I do have another question if you don't mind. You said the disks shouldn't claim to be unvalidated if installed from genuine software. So does that mean you are not allowed to clone your hard drive to facilitate and upgrade in hardware? If so that's fine it just puts me back to square one buying another copy of windows. Yet If I can clone then what is the correct program for doing so?
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:10 PM
  • "Megaman right" wrote in message news:6904456d-21b2-4fef-9337-292e62638f74...
    "Megaman right" wrote in message news:eb7c441d-e93c-4f07-8a0c-208859dc4a72 ...

--

Thanks Mr. or Ms. Noels the information on the different types of keys made things a little easier. I do have another question if you don't mind. You said the disks shouldn't claim to be unvalidated if installed from genuine software. So does that mean you are not allowed to clone your hard drive to facilitate and upgrade in hardware? If so that's fine it just puts me back to square one buying another copy of windows. Yet If I can clone then what is the correct program for doing so?

You can clone your hard drive - but one done you are supposed to reformat the old one, as otherwise you would be in breach of the licensing terms.
    Most drive manufacturers have utilities which will clone drives - see their sites for details. Other manufacturers also make utilities which will do the same job - I use BootItNG for my drives (www.bootitng.com or www.terabyteunlimited.com ).

--

Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Well I tried using Norton Ghost 15 but to no avail. The same issue is coming up unless I'm just using the software wrong. I am a bit confused by this I tried to run a diagnostics report by running the program through task manger, while on a flash drive. Yet I couldn't copy the report since I had no admin rights while in the windows 7 none valid screen. It seems to be a little tough to copy your hard drives though. Does the drive have to have the same designation as the one its  cloned from? Example If I clone my C drive does the hard drive its being cloned to have to have the same designation C? Also I did note that when I ran the diagnostics the report stated clearly Validation 0.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:45 PM
  • "Megaman right" wrote in message news:12567a8b-f467-4c84-9502-20bca0f8549d...
    Well I tried using Norton Ghost 15 but to no avail. The same issue is coming up unless I'm just using the software wrong. I am a bit confused by this I tried to run a diagnostics report by running the program through task manger, while on a flash drive. Yet I couldn't copy the report since I had no admin rights while in the windows 7 none valid screen. It seems to be a little tough to copy your hard drives though. Does the drive have to have the same designation as the one its  cloned from? Example If I clone my C drive does the hard drive its being cloned to have to have the same designation C? Also I did note that when I ran the diagnostics the report stated clearly Validation 0.

Ghost is known to have major problems (as is any other Norton software - how's that for a biased opinion? <g>)
    I really do recommend that you investigate other options first,

again, if you want an opinion on your current install, the we need to see the MGADiag report I referred to earlier.

--

Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:20 PM
  • No further reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 17, 2011 10:52 PM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:52 PM