none
Slow execution of VB6.0 executable on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello friends

Actually I have 2 applications an application developed on VB6.0 that runs on Windows Server 2008 and other developed in .NET that launchs the first through process.start().

Sometimes the application on VB 6.0 runs twice and this is because the first program "the launcher" (.NET Application) has a timer configured of 10 seconds. In fact when this application launches the second application  (VB Application) it has a delay about 20 seconds.

I created a new exe file in VB 6.0 that basically it haven-t  and i see that file has the same delay.  So, i created a .NET program but it haven't delay.

Whats would be the reason because my vb 6.0 application is slower than .NET application?

PD:  I captured performance counters but i don't see nothing. I/O is fine and memory is find.

PD2:  I checked the only action of my vb 6.0 app is form load and here exist the delay. no access to database, not connection to AS400, nothing..

Friday, August 18, 2017 1:30 PM

All replies

• Aleds, 

There are 2 main reasons that a VB6 program is almost always 10 times slower than VB.Net

1. it has a huger assembly
    2. it is based on late binding (everything is evaluated at runtime)

Some persons have proved it is sometimes quicker, but then they had mostly a wait loop inside the VB.Net program  (a very inefficient way of using VB.Net).

Success
    Cor

Friday, August 18, 2017 4:27 PM
  • Hello Cor Thanks for your help

But a week ago the behaviour was right.  There wasn't delay.  Since 10/08 it started with the delay.  I believed that the problem was the server was busy but it didn't truth.

I executed my exe manually and in the initial execution was slow, after this i executed again and it was very quick.  So, i waited 3 or 4 minutes and executed again, and again was slow.

I am suspecting that exists a cache in somewhere inside the OS that provocate this behaviour.  Is that truth?

Do you have another idea about this?

Also i was suspecting about windows patches from Windows update, so i checked the history and i see the last update was 08/08 (Two days before). What do you think about it?

Please help me with this 

Kind Regards

• Edited by Aleds Friday, August 18, 2017 4:39 PM
    Friday, August 18, 2017 4:38 PM
  • Aleds,

The VB6sp6 runtime has not changed for almost 17 years now and VB versions before VB7 are not the only programs which uses Com.

Therefore I would in your case ask this in the Technet forum

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-us/home?category=windowsserver

Probably you get links to classic VB forums, but there you get probably only rant about Microsoft.

Success
    Cor

Friday, August 18, 2017 4:45 PM