Windows 2003 to Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all, i have home server and i love it but was thinking what steps, including software from none Microsoft sources, would it take to turn a normal windows 2003 server in to a windows home server (nothing underhand or shady)  any way just a random thought J

thanks

Stevef 

Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:29 PM

Answers

• There are a number of things that aren't trivially do-able with the tools in Windows Server 2003.
    • You can't easily set up an automated backup tool like that in Windows Home Server.
    • You don't have a Remote Access web site that will let you browse/download/upload files.
    • You don't have an easy way of controlling your server remotely.
    • You don't have easy access to your home PCs through a secure proxy.
    • You don't have an easy to use management interface.
    • You don't have an easy way to add functionality created by third parties.
    There's lots I'm leaving out. The bottom line, though, is that you will give up all the ease of use features. In exchange you gain greater flexibility and the ability to do things that are effectively forbidden by the WHS architecture.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 1:49 AM

All replies

• There are a number of things that aren't trivially do-able with the tools in Windows Server 2003.
    • You can't easily set up an automated backup tool like that in Windows Home Server.
    • You don't have a Remote Access web site that will let you browse/download/upload files.
    • You don't have an easy way of controlling your server remotely.
    • You don't have easy access to your home PCs through a secure proxy.
    • You don't have an easy to use management interface.
    • You don't have an easy way to add functionality created by third parties.
    There's lots I'm leaving out. The bottom line, though, is that you will give up all the ease of use features. In exchange you gain greater flexibility and the ability to do things that are effectively forbidden by the WHS architecture.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 1:49 AM
  •  

Yeah i agree Ken, Windows Home Server makes all the above easy to do and is most excellent at doing it, the idea was to have a software list (from 3rd parties or Microsoft) to obtain the functionality of Home Server  just wanted an idea of course. I use server 2003 at work and some times would love to have the easy setup of some functions available in WHS for windows 2003

thanks

Stevef

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:27 PM