where do you keep your WHS box? RRS feed

• Question

• out of interest....where do you keep your server?

specifically is it "hidden" such, that if the main computer(s) are stolen all your data is not lost?

with this in mind i'm considering hiding mine in the loft.  though might be somewhat warm up there.

Monday, September 1, 2008 2:04 PM

Answers

• Mine is in my home office. I take a backup of my shares offsite every week (I use several external hard drives and rotate them), so I'm not too worried that I'll lose all my data in the event of a disaster of some sort.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 3:06 PM

All replies

• Mine is in my home office. I take a backup of my shares offsite every week (I use several external hard drives and rotate them), so I'm not too worried that I'll lose all my data in the event of a disaster of some sort.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Gone through a similar debate

Currently its in the loft out of the way.  Not much chance of it getting stolen

I wouldn't mind it in the home office but
    a)  Its big and noisy
    b) I haven't got much space

PS: I do have 2 discs with PP1

I do backup onto an external USB hard disc files I don't want to loose e.g. pictures and do DVD backups which I store in my company office

I do need to get some upgrades
    a) UPS
    b) Gigabyte switch
    Monday, September 1, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Currently it is in the same room as my other main computers, and no other chance anyway.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Monday, September 1, 2008 7:28 PM
  • I keep mine in the basement, where it's hidden and out of sight.

I also back up ALL my data, including photos, to MozyHome. That's in addition to the 2 copies on the WHS and copies on each of the 4 PCs in the house. Mozy's got 43GB of my stuff at the moment.

Monday, September 1, 2008 8:06 PM
  • It's in my "home-office" anex "creative room" on the 2nd floor of our house. This is the room/atelier where we do our creative work and where the majority of our computers reside. Next to the server are the montly server backups: 2 external USB drives rotated to be kept in the garage which is separated from the main house.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 8:35 PM