No genuine XP Pro key RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a second hand laptop running xp pro sp2. The laptop has a certificate of authenticity with a different product key than the os. The os didn't pass the genuine test. What's the point of the COA being attatched to the computer if the os is reguarded as non genuine?

Friday, March 7, 2008 4:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Carey,

It got the better of me so I decided to check the valdity of the COA attatched to the laptop. The Microsoft site also checked for a genuine OS at the same time and came up with a non genuine result for the OS but said the the COA product key was good. It then said I would be able to use the COA key to update the OS at no cost and gave me a link to an MS program that replaced the bad key with the good COA key. My dodgy OS is now 100% legal and has recieved all its updates and I'm not out of pocket at all. Can't complain about that!!!

Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:20 AM

All replies

• Contact the manufacturer of the computer and order their genuine Windows XP recovery or reinstallation disc.  Then perform a complete Windows XP recovery operation.

Friday, March 7, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Thanks Carey, I'll start annoying Dell on Monday.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 9:06 AM
  • Hi Carey,

It got the better of me so I decided to check the valdity of the COA attatched to the laptop. The Microsoft site also checked for a genuine OS at the same time and came up with a non genuine result for the OS but said the the COA product key was good. It then said I would be able to use the COA key to update the OS at no cost and gave me a link to an MS program that replaced the bad key with the good COA key. My dodgy OS is now 100% legal and has recieved all its updates and I'm not out of pocket at all. Can't complain about that!!!

Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:20 AM