Server 2008 Certification Exams - Which One to Take First? RRS feed

• Question

• For career development purposes, I'm pursuing the MCITP Server Administrator (and eventually the Enterprise Administrator). 

My question is which of the Server 2008 exams to pursue first.  In reviewing the certification descriptions, it appears that 70-642 Network Infrastructure may provide more of a foundational understanding of Server 2008.  Then, 70-640 Active Directory and 70-643 Applications Infrastructure being more advanced topics.  Would I be correct in this summation?

Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:43 AM
    Answerer

Answers

• Sounds like you have it worked out. Or at least a good idea!

Take a read on my Seven Steps. They should help you in your studies is you follow the steps.

The first thing I would do is print off the exam objectives for each exam. You asked an question originally concerning which exam to take first. I normal situations you would take the test you had proficiency in concerning the exam objectives. In your case, since you are studying "on-the-fly", you would start with the lowest number exam in the collection. (i.e. 70-640). This is soely my opinion, but it has seemed to lay a solid foundation in the past for me.

I enjoy the Microsoft Press Training Kits. Remember to visit the Errata: Book and CD Correction website. This will provide the "known" errors and corrections for the book you have.

As for practice tests. I have used and enjoyed Transcender practice exams. Transcender became a division of Kaplan, Inc., one of the nation's leading providers of educational and career services for individuals, schools and businesses.

HTH.
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. End. Test. Evaluate.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hey Charles.  The question is not what we think you should take first, the question should be what objectives do you have the most knowledge and experience in? After all, that's the point of certifications is to display your proficiency.

So with that said, what do you know of administering a Windows Server 2008 infrastructure?
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Michael D. Alligood said:

So with that said, what do you know of administering a Windows Server 2008 infrastructure?

My current employer (a large healthdcare provider) hasn't implemented Server 2008.  The majority of our servers are running 2003.  Most of what I do involves maintaining the file and print servers, and setting up and monitoring remote access accounts.  I'm currently not responsible for making changes to AD (not my strongest area).  Trust this answers your question.

My goal is to acquire new skills and knowledge with the view of moving to a firm that is either currently running Server 2008 or planning on upgrading.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:02 AM
    Answerer
  • So what are your plans to upgrade your knowledge and experience in Windows 2008 Server?
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:24 AM
  • I currently have a small home lab with three servers and one client.  Servers are currently running Server 2003 (and exceed the hardware requirements for Server 2008).  My intent is to put Server 2008 on two of them (I have copies I received from the Server 2008 launch event) and use it as a study environment.

I was planning on using the MS Press books and perhaps TestOut's training software.  Any other suggestions/recommendations in this area are appreciated.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:19 AM
    Answerer
  • Sounds like you have it worked out. Or at least a good idea!

Take a read on my Seven Steps. They should help you in your studies is you follow the steps.

The first thing I would do is print off the exam objectives for each exam. You asked an question originally concerning which exam to take first. I normal situations you would take the test you had proficiency in concerning the exam objectives. In your case, since you are studying "on-the-fly", you would start with the lowest number exam in the collection. (i.e. 70-640). This is soely my opinion, but it has seemed to lay a solid foundation in the past for me.

I enjoy the Microsoft Press Training Kits. Remember to visit the Errata: Book and CD Correction website. This will provide the "known" errors and corrections for the book you have.

As for practice tests. I have used and enjoyed Transcender practice exams. Transcender became a division of Kaplan, Inc., one of the nation's leading providers of educational and career services for individuals, schools and businesses.

HTH.
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Michael

Thanks for the help and insight.  Had a chance to look at both the 70-640 and 70-642 books.  Call it a "duh" moment - 70-640 starts off with the basics on DNS.  Thanks again.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 3:19 PM
    Answerer
  • No problem. We are here to help. Good luck.
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:42 AM