Problem installing WGA update? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, every time I start my PC I get a popup icon in my system tray for for Windows Genuine Advantage Notification. After running the update I get the following error message:

Updates were unable to be successfully installed

The following updates were not installed:

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)

Below is my MGADiag.exe results:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YDJRT-XHD3P-PJKFP
    Windows Product Key Hash: qipnwq3eUnR080PSuJD/5q1Ac+k=
    Windows Product ID: 55285-010-3674967-21060
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: 5NBPGGB
    ID: dcc98be0-61ae-4016-8c2f-a397373f130b
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    Cache refresh Interval: N/A
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\INTERNET\FIREFOX\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>dcc98be0-61ae-4016-8c2f-a397373f130b</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-PJKFP</PKey><PID>55285-010-3674967-21060</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1708537768-2049760794-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ASUSTeK Computer INC.</Manufacturer><Model>A7N8X-X</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A7N8X-X ACPI BIOS Rev 1009</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040203000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>C0AA3D870184AE7F</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>W. Australia Standard Time(GMT+08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 2:54 PM

Answers

• Red:

I'm certain the issue lies in that security setting. Have you tried rebooting to safe-mode? I would also recommend filing a support request at www.support.microsoft.com (please ensure that you file it under Windows XP). They will be able to correctly set your folder permissions to install any and all updates necessary to get your computer up to date and secure. Good luck!

-phil

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 10:00 AM

All replies

• Red_Dragon,

Could you give http://www.microsoft.com/genuine a try? Go to that site, then click validate. If that does not work, Try going to the latest updated file: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69498

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 3:37 PM
  • Hi Derrick MS, I have just run Windows Validation at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine  and it says my Windows XP is genuine, however after running Windows Update again

it still won't install the WGA update.

And then I attempted to run the latest updated file and get this error:

Wga Setup Error - WgaNotify installation did not complete

Do you have any idea why this doesn't work?

Thanks Derrick

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 4:02 PM
  • Red:

Does it give an installation failure message code when trying to install manually? (http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=458758&SiteID=25)

-phil

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:35 PM
  • Phil, I ran it again and all that happens is I get a stop message which says:

WgaNotify Setup...

Access is denied.

Then I press OK and I get the "WgaNotify Setup Error" box and then I press OK again and exit the tool.

So I don't see any failure message code anywhere.

Thanks Phil

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:49 PM
  • Interesting.

I see that you're an administrator for the machine, but do you have any special permissions on your file folders in c:\windows\system32? (such as the folder is read-only for all users, etc)

-phil

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:51 PM
  • Hi Phil,

I'm having difficulty changing my system32 folder to not be read only in Windows Explorer as when I tried the manual tool again it still aborts the install. And when I check the system32 folder afterwards its set back to read-only again?

How do I change the permissions of c:\windows\system32 for all users? I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks Phil

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 2:19 AM
  • Red:

I'm certain the issue lies in that security setting. Have you tried rebooting to safe-mode? I would also recommend filing a support request at www.support.microsoft.com (please ensure that you file it under Windows XP). They will be able to correctly set your folder permissions to install any and all updates necessary to get your computer up to date and secure. Good luck!

-phil

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 10:00 AM