WHS fax sharing? RRS feed

• Question

•   Does Windows Home Server support network fax sharing similar to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition?
    Friday, January 30, 2009 3:59 PM

Answers

• It's not a function that's enabled in the product. It's possible to enable it, if you know how to do so, but doing so is unsupported.

Personally I recommend a network multifunction printer with fax capability. You get scanning, printing, and faxing, and decent printers are only a couple of hundred dollars (less on sale).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 30, 2009 5:49 PM

All replies

• It's not a function that's enabled in the product. It's possible to enable it, if you know how to do so, but doing so is unsupported.

Personally I recommend a network multifunction printer with fax capability. You get scanning, printing, and faxing, and decent printers are only a couple of hundred dollars (less on sale).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 30, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Here's an article that provides the basic, unsupported, use at your own risk, you break it you bought it, probably violates the EULA and so on, approach: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5287295.html. You will have to use RDP--also unsupported and frowned upon--to set it up. I'd think of having it save faxes to a UNC named shared folder: e.g., something like \\server\Incoming Faxes. Do NOT try a path that is local (e.g., d:\something or other).

I'd never even really pondered this as a service I could move off the client and onto WHS till seeing your posting. But I'm always looking for ways to migrate functions off the clients to the server so that I can make it easier for the clients to come and go and get reinstalled and so on. Fax just keeps hanging on--I end up having to send several every year for one reason or other. It's the only use I have to maintain a modem. I was already wondering whether I'd buy a modem for the new desktop machine I'm planning to build this year. This may be the perfect solution to just move the modem to the WHS machine and not touch it for another decade or so. I'd do a multifunction but they are always significantly more expensive (amortized over how many faxes a year??!?) and a quick look suggests that they think purchasers of these devices are even more willing than others to pay outrageous amounts for consumables.

Anyway, hope the info helps and thanks for asking your thought provoking question! If you try it before I get back to this problem, please post back and let us know how you fare.

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:42 PM