Activation message after minor hardware changes RRS feed

• Question

• I am stuck with Vista on my T-60. i swapped my hard drive with a new T60 (standard procedure in my company as they dont bother debugging the chipset!!) and i am now stuck with re-validation prompt. It gives me access denined for most of the options i click and using the computer with reduced previleges doesnt work either. Any ideas? It really annoys me that there is no way for the entering the OS or even activating it. I really thank heavens for the dual boot with XP that i have. BTW, XP had no issues with the swapping of the hardware!

-Anand

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:28 AM

Answers

• Can you tell me what options you're being given?  You should still be able to activate online or over the phone.

If the options you're being given are...

1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)

2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)

3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)

4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options

a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service

b. Use the automated phone system

... please try phone activating by clicking on the last option, and then clicking on the last option in the next pop-up.

Let me know if that works.  Thanks!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:27 PM