Dual Boot Scenario - Live Mesh, Same LiveID - same local folders RRS feed

• Question

• I havent' done this yet, since I think that there's potential for bad things to happen to the data. :-)

Dual boot machine - Vista/Windows 7.

The data is shared to both operating systems.

On Vista, Live Mesh is already installed and several folders are part of the Mesh with multiple other devices.

What are the implications of installing Live Mesh under Windows 7 and synchronizing the *same* folders that are already being synchronized when booted to Vista?

Am I being paranoid? :-) 

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 26, 2009 6:52 PM

Answers

• Would it specifically be affected? I'm guessing that because the OSs are not running at the same time, and Live Mesh does not modify the folder itself (rather it's locally installed settings etc) it should all be fine?
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Well, it took a week to get around to it, but I finally installed Live Mesh client on the Windows 7 side of the dual boot machine and pointed the synchronized folders to the same exact folders on the drive that are in the Mesh when booted to the Vista OS on the same machine. It works fine, as near as I can tell. No conflicts and no strange deletions took place. The local folder was "merged" with the folder that exists on the Live Desktop and all other machines in the Mesh.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:56 PM

All replies

• Would it specifically be affected? I'm guessing that because the OSs are not running at the same time, and Live Mesh does not modify the folder itself (rather it's locally installed settings etc) it should all be fine?
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:27 AM
  • In my understanding it would be similar to having two machines (where only one of them is only at any given time) and - in addition to Mesh sync - you copy files over manually (e.g. using a USB memeory stick). It could result in conflicts (because Mesh sees that both machines have files updated, but doesn't know that the files are identical - or does Mesh generate a check sum to see if a file is different than the other?).

Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:47 AM
  • From what I understand of the mesh process, folders and files are hashed (checksummed) which aids in conflicts etc. (hence merging a mesh folder with an existing folder works without transferring the whole folder again).
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Well, I guess I just need to try. :-)

I'll report back after I do. (It may not be until this evening)

-steve

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Well, it took a week to get around to it, but I finally installed Live Mesh client on the Windows 7 side of the dual boot machine and pointed the synchronized folders to the same exact folders on the drive that are in the Mesh when booted to the Vista OS on the same machine. It works fine, as near as I can tell. No conflicts and no strange deletions took place. The local folder was "merged" with the folder that exists on the Live Desktop and all other machines in the Mesh.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:56 PM
  • well, I did this...

Ive got vista and windows 7 dual booting on one pc, where live mesh share the same folder to be synced. Also have a laptop with mesh installed.

I added 4 files in vista which resulted them being synced on the live desktop as well as the laptop. I restarted the pc in windows 7, and of course the 4 files are still in the same folder. It then starts syncing everthing again, so I have two copies of everything on the live desktop, it does add the copys to the laptop not does windows 7 get another 4 copys. Instead windows 7 tells me there are 4 unresolved conflicts. It gives me the option of either removing one copy to recycle bin or the other. I delete on copy and the situation resolvs itself on live desktop so there is only one copy of everything, not two.

I think no extra copies were made on the lap or the desktop because the folders cant have files which have the same name while apparantly live desktop can.

If it makes any differemce vista is 32bit, while windows 7 is 64bit. I used different installers for each.

I dont think there really any solution for it, other that only having one operating system on the pc having live mesh, which ever you use the most. On the other hand you can assign a different folder for each os, but this creates unnessary duplication on the same machine, as well as using up bandwidth.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Your experience is directly opposite of mine, jjch84. I have multiple folders that are in my Mesh and each side of the dual boot machine is running Mesh and synchronizing the exact same folder/location with other PCs and the Live Desktop. I did not have any conflicts, nor were duplicates created.
    I recommend that you file a bug and submit logs from both sides of the dual boot machine per the isntructions in this post:
    Sticky: How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:17 PM