My XP was validated now getting message saying it's not RRS feed

• Question

• I bought this computer used about 3 years ago for my children. At that time I did check with your site and was told the copy of Windows XP was valid. I have been recieving updates etc as I was suppose to all this time.

Now all of a sudden I am getting a message that says "The product key found on this computer was issued to an organization that is no longer using the key.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:15 PM

Answers

• Confused,

Did you try and follow the guidance Dan posted in this thread? You should see a copy tab. This will allow you to paste here in the forum.  Open notepad. Paste the diag results there then copy from notepad and pasted in the forum. This may work. 

Tell us about your computer. Did you receive software @ the time of purchase? If so you should have received a reinstallation software media disc. This disc is designed to restore the computer back to factory settings as if you just purchased the system new. 

Recovery Software CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience:

Gateway Computers           http://www.gateway.com/about/contactus/index.php                      800-369-1409

Hopefully this will provide more information so you can get the system operation. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:13 PM

All replies

• MsTee,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:21 AM
  • HI have the same problem.. I have had this computer for close to 4 yrs. and every year or so, I keep getting told that my Copy of Windows XP Home is not a valid copy! WHAT A PAIN! I ran a the test/utility but it doesn't seem to copy on to this response! Here is the rest of the INFO: Computer from Gateway, Windows XP Home(SP2), Has the COMPUTER NAME in BLACK ... NOW what?  the lil blue ICON at the bar next to the clock is a lil blue star looking thing and when I click it..it says :UNABLE to complete the GENUINE Windows Validation... so I went to the UPDATE SITE and it says: That the Validation process can not be completed because PRODUCT KEY Could not be detected. something about if the key is missing the copy could be a counterfeit. I REGISTERED and ACTIVATED this COPY on this COMPUTER 4 yrs ago and have gotten all the UPDATES before(Even in the add and remove programs has a Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool Update (06-17-07)KB892130...  HELP!!! I remember this happened before a yr or 2 ago, but don't remember how I fixed it! BTW: MY XP Office Is able to be validated just fine(I have The MS Works suite installed)..BUT THE XP HOME does not validate.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Confused,

Did you try and follow the guidance Dan posted in this thread? You should see a copy tab. This will allow you to paste here in the forum.  Open notepad. Paste the diag results there then copy from notepad and pasted in the forum. This may work. 

Tell us about your computer. Did you receive software @ the time of purchase? If so you should have received a reinstallation software media disc. This disc is designed to restore the computer back to factory settings as if you just purchased the system new. 

Recovery Software CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience:

Gateway Computers           http://www.gateway.com/about/contactus/index.php                      800-369-1409

Hopefully this will provide more information so you can get the system operation. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:13 PM