Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Musik WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Creative XP driver do not fit to WHS with HP dc7100 machine (915 Chipset)
    any ideas?
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:11 PM

All replies

• First, bear in mind that Windows Home Server is not designed to be used as a desktop operating system, and such use is unsupported. Desktop need the ability to play sound back locally (sometimes); servers don't.

Drivers, in general, are specific to a given operating system. Since Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, usually you can use XP drivers. In this case, it's possible that Creative has blocked the installation of these drivers on Windows Server 2003 for some reason. You can try running the installer in "compatibility mode" for XP, but you may find that your sound card doesn't work properly, or that you experience other issues with your server as a result of forcing the installation. There are no guarantees, and you do this at your own risk. You may also want to consult Creative's support group to find out how best to proceed.

Overall, I feel that your best course of action is to use the sound card in a desktop PC, and leave your server to do what it's designed for: serving data to other devices on your network.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Have you tried unofficial drivers?

For example - http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/%C2%BA/m-p/516445

Friday, July 30, 2010 2:06 PM