Hardware RAID on HP MediaSmart RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking at my system information and came across something that caught my eye. I noticed that the HP MediaSmart has an SiS 0182/1182 RAID Controller made by Silicon Integrated Systems Corp, and also a Marvell 61xx Marvell RAID Controller made by Marvell Inc. I was wondering if it is possible to use one or both of these to make a hardware RAID array on my HP MediaSmart.

-drwebster93
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:36 AM

Answers

• Unless you are willing to completely disassemble your server so you can connect monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the headers on the motherboard, no it's not possible to create a RAID array using either controller. It might not be possible even then; the system BIOS might not support the full capbilities of those controllers.

In addition, neither of those controllers is a true "hardware" RAID controller; they both implement RAID in firmware/drivers, using the system's CPU for processing. The HP MediaSmart Server is a relatively low-powered system; I suspect that RAID calculations would consume a significant portion of the server's CPU capacity.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:14 PM

All replies

• Unless you are willing to completely disassemble your server so you can connect monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the headers on the motherboard, no it's not possible to create a RAID array using either controller. It might not be possible even then; the system BIOS might not support the full capbilities of those controllers.

In addition, neither of those controllers is a true "hardware" RAID controller; they both implement RAID in firmware/drivers, using the system's CPU for processing. The HP MediaSmart Server is a relatively low-powered system; I suspect that RAID calculations would consume a significant portion of the server's CPU capacity.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:14 PM
  • If it was possible though, it would be done through the BIOS, correct?
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:23 PM
  • It would probably be done through firmware associated with the RAID controller, actually, but during the POST/BIOS boot process, yes.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:14 PM