Product key Mess please help RRS feed

• Question

•  

I originally had windows 2000 pro installed on my desktop. I purchased an XP Pro upgrade kit from bestbuy many yrs ago, When I installed XP it asked for the original windows 2000 cd. All was ok. but a yr or two ago I installed a new Harddrive but this time my win2k pro cd was too scratched to read thus leaving me unable to install the XP "upgrade". A friend of mine had another full XP cd so I used that one to install with. I recently did not pass validation and have discovery that the key on my machine is blocked. I would like to use my valid/genuine key but when I try to change it, it says that it is not a valid key. Im sure it has to do with the fact that my key is an upgrade key and the install product is a full version. Anyhow I would like to change my key or get a valid one without reinstalling the OS.  any help please.
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:08 AM

Answers

• Hello frost203,

The only way to update your product key for this situation would be to reinstall Windows.  Please see the following link on how to replace lost Microsoft hardware/software: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:19 PM