Media Streaming RRS feed

• Question

• What is the difference between "media streaming" and just using a playlist on a client to play media from the shared folder?  Thanks, Pete
    Monday, March 12, 2007 11:11 AM

Answers

• I enabled the media library sharing for the 'music' shared folder on my home server and now I can access the music through my Roku M1000 Digtial Music Player which is hooked up to an old stereo receiver.  Works great!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:33 PM

All replies

• Enabling 'media streaming' allows you to access the media files from a Xbox 360 or straight from Windows Media Player, without having to browse the directory. Media streaming also supports "other supported multimedia devices," as microsoft claims.

Arthur

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:28 AM
  • Thanks for taking time to reply, I read this info in the documentation, but am looking for more detail.  I am trying to understand the difference between the two and why I would want to choose one method over the other.  With the information I have so far, I see no advantage for using the streaming feature.  Also, Media Library Sharing bypasses any user account access that you set for the shared folder, this seems like a disadvantage to me!
    Monday, March 12, 2007 11:53 AM
  • Hello,

Topic related but somewhat off-topic:  I have always had interest in media streaming and have used/configured servers for that before. I noticed in WHS that in the (hidden but available) "add/remove windows components", Windows Media Streaming infrastructure is listed there but I haven't tried to install it.  Will this be part of the RTM or is it just a remnant of server2003 ??

JAY

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:21 AM
  • I enabled the media library sharing for the 'music' shared folder on my home server and now I can access the music through my Roku M1000 Digtial Music Player which is hooked up to an old stereo receiver.  Works great!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:33 PM
  • I think I am getting the picture on this.  If I understand, Media Streaming basically removes permissions so that an external device can gain access to the music share.  OTOH, if I am using a laptop to integrate with my Audio/Video system, the streaming feature wouldn't offer me any added functionality, it would just remove access permissions.  If this is not correct, please advise.

Thanks for all the replies,

pete

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:41 PM