Network cannot see WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I just installed the WHS evaluation version on a new home built pc. Software installation went without a hitch. The problem is that the sever if not visible to the network - I can't even install the connector software on my own PC.

I bought a book on WHS and it stated that after installing the software you should not click the welcome button but go directly to installing the connector software. Is this still true for the evaluation edition? If there anything else I should have done. I can't find any detailed installation instructions for the evaluation software on this site.

Many thanks

Philip
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:11 PM

Answers

• Usually it works that way - on OEM servers this is the only way, to get the OOBE (Out of the Box Experience) to do the initial configuration.
    On a self built server you often will have to login locally and do the first configuration steps there - especially, if during the automated part of the installation no driver for the network interface card could be installed.
    (You can check this in device manager just like under Windows XP. Preferred drivers are Windows Server 2003 drivers, with some luck also Windows XP drivers may work.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:18 PM
  • You should look at Device Manager to see if there are any devices showing up without drivers, and install the drivers for those devices. You probably don't need the drivers for any other devices.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:47 PM

All replies

• Usually it works that way - on OEM servers this is the only way, to get the OOBE (Out of the Box Experience) to do the initial configuration.
    On a self built server you often will have to login locally and do the first configuration steps there - especially, if during the automated part of the installation no driver for the network interface card could be installed.
    (You can check this in device manager just like under Windows XP. Preferred drivers are Windows Server 2003 drivers, with some luck also Windows XP drivers may work.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Many thanks Olaf that's useful - I'll proceed and report back. I'm using Vista by the way. (Yes someone bought it - I even like it)

Philip

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Olaf, I have given your response more thought. I had wondered if it might be a ethernet driver issue. I did not install any of the drivers that came with the motherboard as I couldn't work out how to.

I've browsed the motherboard driver cd rom using my pc and found ethernet drivers for both XP and Vista. Which do you recommend I use? The interface is a Realtec (I think) Gigabit LAN

Regards

Philip
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:11 PM
  • (Per Olaf's original reply)

Use the XP drivers if there are no Windows Server 2003 drivers.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:52 PM
  • One last question I should have asked earlier. Assuming the driver cd will run ok, is it advisable to install all relavent drivers? I would assume the answer to be yes.

Many thanks

(Mod: much snippage; please try not to insert dozens of blank lines, becuase it makes it hard to read a message...)

Thanks Ken.

One last question I really should have asked earlier.

Assuming the driver CD will run OK, should I install all other relevant drivers, for instance the chip set driver? I would assume the answer to be yes.

Many thanks

Philip

(Mod: more snippage)

• Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:46 PM removed several dozen blank lines
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:01 PM
  • You should look at Device Manager to see if there are any devices showing up without drivers, and install the drivers for those devices. You probably don't need the drivers for any other devices.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Thanks Ken. That sounds like common sense. I hope to have a go over the weekend.

Regards

Philip
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Just to end this, I followed your suggestions and all worked perfectly. I have a problem with backups but that is a separate post!
    Many Thanks.
    Philip
    Monday, May 11, 2009 9:30 AM