How do I know which drive I am disconnecting? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 drives on my system, each 1T, all the same brand and model. $0$0 I need a 1T drive for a different PC, so I want to use one of them from the WHS.$0 $0$0 $0 $0I know how to move one of the drives from the console, the problem is, how do I then know which drive to physically disconnect?$0 $0$0 $0 $0Thanks$0 $0$0 $0
    Friday, November 21, 2008 11:14 PM

All replies

• If you have a MediaSmart Server, you can use Drive Labeler to vew the physical location of the drive if it is internal to the server. For a home-build, I'm sure someone else will have a good idea. 
    http://www.mediasmartserver.net
    Friday, November 21, 2008 11:24 PM
  • Thanks...but I have a home built system...
    Any other ideas?

Friday, November 21, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Hi,
    currently you may have following options: the Add-In WHS Disk Management may give you some more detail informations about attached disks including the serial number.
    Other than that you can disconnect one disk, power up the system and check, which drive is now reported as "missing".
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Like Olaf suggested, when I build a WHS box, I only install the primary drive and magic marker it to identify it. As I add drives to the pool one by one, I repeat the labeling process.

MicroSSG
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:37 AM
  • KuraTD said:

I have 4 drives on my system, each 1T, all the same brand and model. $0$0 I need a 1T drive for a different PC, so I want to use one of them from the WHS.$0 $0$0 $0 $0I know how to move one of the drives from the console, the problem is, how do I then know which drive to physically disconnect?$0 $0$0 $0 $0Thanks$0 $0$0 $0

Also, in addition to what Olaf said, make sure your server is completely up-to-date before disconnecting a drive (keep clicking on Update Now... in the Settings button, General tab until it says there are no new updates).
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:12 PM