Date for fix of the slow login issue with v2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I like the steadystate functionality but I can't live with the slow startup issue. Can you give me a date at which you expect a fix on this issue to be ready? So I can decide to wait or install the Shared Computer Toolkit software.

Could you make the Shared Computer Toolkit available on the web? so i can give it a try and see if it's as good as steadystate is.

Thanks in advanced,

Gerrit-Jan
    (NL)
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 10:19 AM

Answers

• Thanks for Sean's input.

Unfortunately, this is a know issue of SteadyState which will not be fixed in the current version. The next version (2.5) will be released earlier next year. I believe our product team will consider improving this in the new version.

Regards,

Thursday, October 4, 2007 2:38 AM

All replies

• I too would like to know if this problem is being worked on.  I have searched all the threads and haven't really seen an indication that a patch/fix was in the works.

A thread on how to get the SCT 1.1 is here:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1905623&SiteID=69

I am highly annoyed with the slow logon with SteadyState (the service hangs during the logon process).  However, I decided it was better than the problems I had with the SCT 1.1.  Corruption in the OS occasionally would cause computers not to boot.   I finally found the Enhanced Write Filter Restore mode which would bring some computers back, but most I just had to reimage. 

Essentially the disk protection in the SCT 1.1 is not handled as well as SteadyState (so far, so good, at least).  The SteadyState interface is easier to use.  The slow logon is the only severe problem I've found so far, and it hopefully will be addressed.  Developement is not happening on the SCT (since SteadyState is the new version), so its problems will never be fixed as far as I know.

Sean Hanson
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 2:35 PM
  • Thanks for Sean's input.

Unfortunately, this is a know issue of SteadyState which will not be fixed in the current version. The next version (2.5) will be released earlier next year. I believe our product team will consider improving this in the new version.

Regards,

Thursday, October 4, 2007 2:38 AM
  • Slow logon here also!  I've installed SteadyState on my home and work computer.  Home PC is in a workgroup.  Work PC is in a domain.  In both cases a user with local admin rights was used to logon.

The slow login seems to happen only after a restart (or power up) of the PC.  If I logoff and logon it goes in fine, a "normal"/fast logon.  Otherwise I think SteadyState is an excellent program.  May even help solve the issue of giving everybody local admin rights on a PC--so third party apps will work.

Can I request features here?

Under Feature Restrictions > Home Page

I think it should allow you to set the homepage to an html file saved on the PC (ie., c:\mypage.html), because I use a customized html file that informs the user they can't access the internet.  Currently it only allows http:// and I don't have a webserver.

Prevent USB access PER user.

Under Set Computer Restrictions > "Prevent write access to USB ... " is per machine.  On a PC, I want the generic or shared user account to have USB restriction not all.  For example, since I'm the local admin of the PC, when I log on I don't want to be restricted also. 

Thanks for listening!!!!  And making it a better product!!!!

Monday, February 4, 2008 10:38 PM
  • This issue seems to be fixed in v2.5, but it is still in beta.  I'm hoping it will be out of beta soon.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:01 AM