WHS Dropping Hardrives RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS has 4 hardrives. Yesterday I saw a red WHS icon, so opened WHS connector. It showed several file conflicts. In the process of trying to resolve the issues I checked for drive repair options and all 4 showed as Healthy. Then checking shared folders at first all were healthy. Then slowly they started showing as unhealthy, one at a time, until there were 6 unhealthy shared folders. I then checked my drives again and it showed 1 drive missing.

At that point I thought possibly a dirty connector. So cleaned dust out and connections. Reboot, same issues. Then loose another drive. At this point I ____ down the server.

I did notice before all of the loss's that my storage was getting full. With 7% free.

How do I save my WHS? And most importantly my backups?

Monday, March 22, 2010 2:29 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you have a hardware problem (perhaps failing drives, perhaps a disk controller). Are your drives internal or external? If external, what connection type? Do you regularly back up your shares (using the functionality built into Windows Home Server or a custom solution) to an external drive? to eliminate your drives as a possible source, you could remove them from your server one at a time while it's shut down, and run chkdsk /r on each partition using another computer.

Assuming you regularly back up your shares, you shouldn't have to do anything special to protect that data at this point. And assuming there is nothing wrong with your drives, you can probably save your backup database. See the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief for instructions on how to copy it; in this case you will need to copy components of the database from one or more drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Well Ken. I'm afraid I have not done a backup. My WHS is my backup. I see now that I probably should have, but I simply trusted the function of the WHS and it's duplication. My mistake.

So, assuming that there is nothing wrong with my drives how can I save my backups?

Monday, March 22, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Your server is not, by itself, complete protection for all your data. So yes, you should back it up regularly and take the backups off-site. :)

Read the technical brief I linked. As for recovering data, if you have more than one failing drive, your data (backups, shares) is at risk no matter what steps you take now. You should read this FAQ, which details the risks if you have a failing drive, and this one, which tells you how to recover data from your shares if you suffer a serious failure of your server.

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:04 PM
  • I will read the links. Could this be as simple as adding a new drive to the server increasing my free space?
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:06 PM
  • You need to sort out your hardware problem first. Personally, I would shut the server down, pull the drives one at a time, and check them individually for errors on another computer. If none of them turn up with errors, then you could put the drives back in your server, start it up, and just wait to see if issues come up again...
    Monday, March 22, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Thanks Ken, that is what I will do. Is there a step by step how to run chkdsk /r on the drives? I will use my WIN 7 laptop. I have a cable and power supply, so will be able to get the drives to "work" but how do I make them so that I can run the chkdsk utility?
    Monday, March 22, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Thanks Ken, that is what I will do. Is there a step by step how to run chkdsk /r on the drives? I will use my WIN 7 laptop. I have a cable and power supply, so will be able to get the drives to "work" but how do I make them so that I can run the chkdsk utility?
    Just connect one to your client, open a command prompt (on Vista/7, select Run as Administrator) then type chkdsk x: /r  (replacing x with whatever drive letter is assigned to that drive).
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Thank You, I will report back with results.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:05 AM
  • OK, I have connected 1 drive to my WIN 7 computer by cable to USB. It does not show in My Computer. I can see it in Disk Managment as Disk 1, Not Initialized. How do I make it so that WIN 7 will se it? Or how do I know what drive letter command is assigning?
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:08 PM
  • OK, I have connected 1 drive to my WIN 7 computer by cable to USB. It does not show in My Computer. I can see it in Disk Managment as Disk 1, Not Initialized. How do I make it so that WIN 7 will se it? Or how do I know what drive letter command is assigning?

"Not Initialized" on a disk that was in use means a failed disk (usually). You can try a data recovery tool to see if there's any data that you can get at on that disk. You might also be able to do something with e.g. Spinrite or the manufacturer's disk tools. I make no promises, and offer no guarantees, that you will have any success...

If the data that was on the disk is extremely valuable, you can even send it out to a professional data recovery firm (and pay accordingly).

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:19 PM